These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Different stage configs

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
plan_G
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 3.5
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Different stage configs

Post by plan_G »

Hi everyone,
I can't believe I've been gone 4 years! The band ended, the new band didn't need a light guy, the acoustic band only required a few led pars on fade. Things look like they might be happening again, and I have 4 trees set up in my basement right now while I try to remember Freestyler! I backed up my ver 3.4.0 files, so everything I created before is here and working (in virtual, one led par won't turn on :cry: ).

I bought a Matrix 4-channel double output DMX dimmer pack right before my light job stopped.
I was using 2 trees of LED pars (RGBA Blizzard pucks) with Freestyler. I have 6 incandescent par cans that I'd now like to use on the DMX system. Then I'll use these dimmer pack pars in front and the LEDs in back of the band.

There are some stages so small that I'll revert back to only my 2 trees of LED pars.

What is the proper way to handle things when the layout or usage of different lights is different? Should I just add everything to the main screen and turn off what's not being used?

It's basically just 2 scenarios. All 4 trees or just the 2 LED sets. I'll do some reading here on setting up my parcans in Freestyler.

Thank you!

It's good to be back :geek:

Rod_Horning
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Re: Different stage configs

Post by Rod_Horning »

If you want you could have two locations or perhaps two zones in a single location. Not sure that buys you much but would make your screen a bit less full when only using the 2 LED sets.

If you have just 1 of the Matrix packs be sure you check the amperage of the PARS. The pack is limited to 5 amps per channel and 15 amps total. Depending on the amperage of the individual PAR you might exceed this limit, blowing a fuse. I usually divide the wattage of the bulb by 110 to approximate the amperage.

I could not tell if you had the dimmer packs configured or not. I use a similar pack but configure it as 1 channel and add 4 fixtures to Freestyler. Freestyler only recognized 1 dimmer channel per fixture. By configuring the dimmer as a single channel device and adding 4 fixtures to Freestyler you get Freestyler to treat each channel of the dimmer pack as a dimmer channel.
plan_G
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 3.5
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Post by plan_G »

Thank you, I'll check out locations and zones in the instructions.

I don't have the Matrix pack set up yet, I just know it uses digital addressing rather than dip switches. How do you attach that heavy pack to the tree??

So do you just have "pairs" of lights configured, each pair as one unit? Instead of each light separately? Sorry for my amateur questions. I started out with led so the dimmer pack is different. I'll check the bulbs too - thank you. :)

I have one led puck that's not turning on, so I'm trying to troubleshoot the darn thing. :cry:
Rod_Horning
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Post by Rod_Horning »

Attaching the pack to the tree depends on the material strength of the tree arms. If they are strong enough then a clamp similar to whatever is on the lights should be ok, assuming the clamp can be attached to the dimmer pack. I've also used zip ties - 2 per dimmer pack. Another solution is to use electrical tape and tape the dimmer packs to the trunk of the tree.

I physically configure the dimmer pack as a four channel pack. In the Fixture Creator I configure the dimmer as a single channel. In Freestyler I add 4 of the dimmer packs, setting the channel address 1 higher for each pack. Ex. If the first pack is added as channel 11 then the second would be channel 12, the third channel 13 and the fourth channel 14.

I usually configure several dimmer fixtures and use the picture of the actual lighting instrument. From a sequence creation view point I am interested in the light fixture, not the dimmer pack. A screen full of dimmer packs is not very helpful visually. A picture of the instrument and its relative location on the stage is very helpful.

Looking at the picture of the dimmer, each circuit has a double outlet. Providing you do not exceed the amperage you can plug two PARs into the outlet, both will be controlled by the channel assigned to that outlet. In the Fixture creator you could set the picture to show 2 instruments, that might be visually helpful. Of course, again providing you do not exceed the amperage max, you could plug a multi-outlet power strip into the dimmer circuit and plug multiple instruments into the power strip.

The move away from DIP switches has been very, very welcome. I used to have 16 lights that had DIP switches. WHAT A PAIN to change the address.

Hope you can fix your one puck.

Return to “FreeStyler Software”