These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Configuring the Art-Net interface to output to Enttec

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
petelights
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.3
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Configuring the Art-Net interface to output to Enttec

Post by petelights »

Hi,

I'm trying to output DMX to the Art-Net interface so I can "record" it using Enttec Pro Manager and replay using the Enttec DMX Pro MK2 in standalone mode.

The Enttec interface has an option to receive DMX on an Art-Net interface but there is no description of configuring the interface.

I read viewtopic.php?t=6760 where two posters say they have it working so I assume its possible but I've tried various combinations of IP address / broadcast address for the localhost interface and the WiFi interface on the laptop I'm using without success.

Can anyone describe how to get Freestyler outputting to Art-Net in a way that the Enttec DMX Pro MK2 can record from?

Thanks

barrypearce
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Re: Configuring the Art-Net interface to output to Enttec

Post by barrypearce »

I have literally just got an Enttec ODE working wirelessly with ArtNet this evening. Let me just go check the settings and Ill report back RSN about the settings I used.

I assume you have the Enttec device configured on your network and that the ArtNet test from the NMU works - yes? Theres no point in going any further if that doesnt work.
barrypearce

Post by barrypearce »

Assuming NMU ArtNet test works OK...

Start Freestyler.
If it pops up with the iterface box all well and good. If not go to the menu Setup | Freestyler Setup, the choose interface controller from the left panel.

For universe one
For the interface select ArtNet.
Leave the three number boxes as 0 0 0 unless you are doing funky universe stuff.
select the IP address of your network card (it wont be 127.0.0.1 - this is the loopback which means the artnet is running on your computer....not what you want with external interfaces...probably depends on if you are doing funky stuff....but generally avoid).
Set the broadcast address to that of the IP address of your Enttec device as set with the NMU.

Universe 2
Set NO Interface from the dropdown.

At this point freestyler may start working with it. But I recommend the following.

Save the location file. Save as if you desire...but definitely save so these startup automatically talks to the right device.

Shutdown freestyler & restart.

All works great for me - and I have got remote control from Android and IOS working - although initial impression is that Android is great with full control (paid for version). The IOS version is not so great and doesnt work properly.

Hope this helps!
Take care
Barry
petelights

Post by petelights »

Firstly thanks for taking time to reply, much appreciated.

I have a Windows 10 Laptop with to 2 IP interfaces:

1) DHCP enabled which normally obtains 192.168.1.118 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0
2) Loopback which as usual is 127.0.0.1

I have tried:

1) Using the DHCP address in FS by selecting the network adapter from the interface drop down list as Config Test 1 and setting the broadcast address to 192.168.1.255

2) Setting a static IP address of 2.2.2.2 in windows and then configuring FS to select that interface and using broadcast to 2.2.2.255

In each case I start the Enttec Pro Manager select the Artnet to "record" from but it doesn't recive any traffic.

I think our use cases are slightly different in that all I'm trying to do is enable comms between Freestyler and the Enttec Pro Manager listing on the Art-Net interface (whatever that is to it), so:

Freestyler --> IP interface --> Enttec Pro Manger.

I did look at the Enttec NMU as a way of troubleshooting this but without the external nodes wasn't sure it would help. I just installed it and tried enable the Art-Net interface and sending some traffic but that was seen the the Enttec Pro Manager during recording.

I've also tried various ordering of starting FS and the Enttec Pro Manager but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I am well and truly stuck at the moment.

It just requires a working IP configuration which is recognised by the Pro Manager as the ArtNet interface and can be used by FS as the destination.

All help gratefully received.
petelights

Post by petelights »

I've got it working!

All the faffing with static IP address, 2.x.x.x addresses etc all unnecessary. It's the order of starting FS and Enttec Pro Manager which makes the difference. I got to the bottom of it using ArtNetominator which is less finicky on the order then once I could see ArtNet traffic I knew I was on a winner.

I just used the existing DHCP address of 192.168.1.118 and FS configured to:

0, 0, 0

Start Enttec Pro Manager
Start FS
Start record in Enttec Pro Manager Standalone tab
Run some some scenes in FS

It works, phew :-)
barrypearce

Post by barrypearce »

Yep that makes sense. I use DHCP on the tablet as well. On my case the Enttec ODE requires a static IP address.
Yes the interface must be active before starting FS.

Glad youve got sorted.
tfmeier
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by tfmeier »

How would this be configured if I'm using the Artnet-DMX bridge that comes with Freestyler, i.e software stack running on the same laptop where Freestyler runs? Can't get this work

Any help appreciated

Return to “FreeStyler Software”