These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

House lights fixture

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
silkstg
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.3
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

House lights fixture

Post by silkstg »

Hey guys,

trying to avoid adding masses of dim channels to my build and individual cues each time I go to new theatres.
As I'm touring around the theatres in the UK I'm finding that house lights range between 1 DMX channel and 80.
Is there a fixture I can use/build that allows for multiple dimming DMX channels all running off of a master dim?

Thanks for your help
Tom

Rod_Horning
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Re: House lights fixture

Post by Rod_Horning »

One possible approach is to create a fixture that has 80 total channels. Add at least 2 macros, the first with all channels set to 0 and the second with all channels set to 255. Add a couple more if you want several levels of intensity. Make sure you add a picture for each macro. Start Freestyler and add the fixture. Select the fixture, click on window and then click on macro. This will open the macro display window. Click on the picture of the level of intensity you want the house lights. Remember that since only one fixture is added to Freestyler, the channels must be consecutive. Hope this helps
A3aanKeij
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler

Post by A3aanKeij »

Won't work in settings with LED fixtures...
Rod_Horning

Post by Rod_Horning »

Interesting. For my education would you mind telling me what happens. Thanks
A3aanKeij

Post by A3aanKeij »

Hi Rod, who are you asking, me?
Rod_Horning

Post by Rod_Horning »

A3aanKeij, yes. I do not understand why my suggestion would not work with LED fixtures - assuming the LED fixtures are dimmable. Thank you.
A3aanKeij

Post by A3aanKeij »

Using LED fixtures each DMX channel has it's own function. Suppose you have a number of professional Robin ParFect 100 fixtures, each starting at a different DMX channel. These pro fixtures have 6 different modes, depending the mode TOTAL DIMMING channel is 13/9/4/29/34. All other functions depend on the mode setting as well. Only when set to mode 6 (4ch mode) you might have a chance controlling it, but that limits the possibilities of this fixture so no theater will set these expensive fixtures to mode 6.
You'll always first have to find out what fixtures they've installed, what mode they are in and what the starting addresses are. Only then you're in control. For if TOTAL DIMMING is not set properly there will be no light at all - and what channel(s) correspond to total dimming? Too many options to just guess...
Rod_Horning

Post by Rod_Horning »

Thank you for your excellent reply.

For a multi channel fixture I agree with you completely. Macros may be useful for a multi channel fixture but certainly not for dimming in the manner of my post.

I was assuming that an LED house light would only have a single channel (dimming). In that case I believe, for the situation described by SILKSTG, my suggestion might work.
silkstg
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.3
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by silkstg »

Hi Rod, thank you for your suggestion I will create the fixture and give it a go.
You would be correct in your assumption there, in the case of LED house lights I have only ever had them in the smallest dmx channel modes so even in RGB or RGBW fixtures its three or four channels of dimming.
In A3aanKeij's suggestion (which is very valid) I would create specific fixtures and control them as a group and cue.
Thanks guys

Return to “FreeStyler Software”