These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

New to DMX. LOST... Topic is solved

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
djescobar973
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.3
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

New to DMX. LOST...

Post by djescobar973 »

Greeting from Jersey...

I'm new to DMX and very new to Freestyler. I was messing around with it last night, got it moving so that was an accomplishment on its own. DMX is like a foreign language that I refused to even acknowledge. But I HAVE to learn it. I wanted to know if anyone can assist me on this as I have an event coming up REAL SOON. I want to create a sequence where my 2 Chauvet 255 IRC's will slowly illuminate the dancefloor. A slow sweep as a couple dances. I'm only asking because this is urgent. The rest I will have to learn on my own but a little help could help tremendously. Advice or even a video would be appreciated.

Partyman
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 4.01
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting
Twitter: twitter.com/

Re: New to DMX. LOST...

Post by Partyman »

Check out you tube then come back. There are tons of freestyler how-to videos
Rusty
djescobar973

Post by djescobar973 »

Care to provide a link of how to do what I need? I've been on youtube for the last week, hence why I came here for an assist.
spud1511
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.7

Post by spud1511 »

So where exactly are you at the moment?
Do you have 2 fixtures on screen that you can use to move your real lights?
djescobar973

Post by djescobar973 »

spud1511 wrote:So where exactly are you at the moment?
Do you have 2 fixtures on screen that you can use to move your real lights?
Yes , I have 2 fixtures set up. I can get them to move with my mouse or with that box where I can choose, Eight, Rectangle, Circle etc. I'd like them to just sweep the dancefloor for a slow dance. But they are also mirroring each others movements. Is that standard? I'd prefer one light moving right to left and the other left to right. or something just not synchronized. maybe a slight delay.
spud1511
FS is my life

Post by spud1511 »

They should match movements if you have them both selected when you give them the movement instructions.
If you deselect one and only move the other, then only one should move. Otherwise you will need to read wiki on addressing fixtures.
The very abbreviated version of setting up the sequence you describe would be click blank page icon for 'create sequence' at top, then move your lights manually to set up the scene you wish to see like making the first picture in a comic strip. Eg this colour and shape and position for the first light, change selected light, then do what you want for the second light, etc.

choose a scene time and fade time in the sequence editor that matches how long you want it to take to get to the next scene in your imaginary comic strip (in milliseconds so 2000 = 2 seconds) - bigger number means slower fades or movement.
Make sure everything you want to change between scenes has the green ramp symbol appear in the button next to the changed thing like PAN, TILT, etc. if you want it to move gently (fade) to the next scene, or the Lightning symbol (snap) for instant change.
Press blue "+" symbol in sequence editor and repeat to create the next scene in your sequence (like the next photo in a comic strip) until you are happy.
Pressing the double arrow "play" button will let you preview your sequence. When your happy choose 'save as' give it a memorable name, choose add to new cuelist as its your first one and give a name for cuelist (eg scanners or event name) where you can add any other sequences you create to.
Then when you click the cuelist (play symbol) on main screen you should be able to easily locate and playback your sequences with the matching play button.

There's loads more to it, and loads more possibilities than that, but it should hopefully be a starting point.
djescobar973

Post by djescobar973 »

This is what I needed ty. For the first part after choosing create a sequence, when moving the lights manually am I doing this in increments or one general movement.
spud1511
FS is my life

Post by spud1511 »

Try thinking of it as scenes and sequences, like how I said with the photos playing out in a kind of comic strip.

Each 'scene' is like a static image that the lights reproduce, and the movement is what happens automatically by freestyler between the scenes to get from one to the next. (obviously there's a lot more to it, but that's a good way of thinking about it whilst you get your head around it).
A sequence is just a bunch of scenes saved together that play back in order.
djescobar973

Post by djescobar973 »

spud1511 wrote:Try thinking of it as scenes and sequences, like how I said with the photos playing out in a kind of comic strip.

Each 'scene' is like a static image that the lights reproduce, and the movement is what happens automatically by freestyler between the scenes to get from one to the next. (obviously there's a lot more to it, but that's a good way of thinking about it whilst you get your head around it).
A sequence is just a bunch of scenes saved together that play back in order.
Thank you, I got this to work. I appreciate the push. One last question. Is it a setting that I have engaged that when the sequence hits the last step there's a slight delay when going back to the 1st sequence. I have created 10 sequences and when it goes back to one, it takes a second or maybe half. I'd like to make it seameless.
spud1511
FS is my life

Post by spud1511 »

Can't think of any setting. Is it just in the preview or does it do it live from the cue window when you play back the saved scene?
musicmaestro

Post by musicmaestro »

I find using one of the built in patterns like the circle works great for this type of thing. You can start one head on the left side of the dance floor and one on the right, looks great!

Return to “FreeStyler Software”