These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Sound 2 Light

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
abluem97
Knows how to turn Lights ON
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Sound 2 Light

Post by abluem97 »

Hello,
I'm trying to use my beats from Virtual DJ to change sequence steps in Freestyler. I have Virtual DJ triggering sequences, but they don't sync to the beat.

So I tried downloading the Sound 2 Light plugin. The plugin is reading beats, but does not seem to be relaying them back to Freestyler. I've read this page 100 times: http://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/sound_2_light

On this page is says to click the "Sound to Light Icon." This icon is nowhere to be found in my Freestyler! I cannot find anywhere online what the cause of that may be...

I am able to pass the beats straight from the freestyler8 plugin in VDJ to Freestyler if I set my fixture to "React to Sound (Random Values.) But then of course it just jumps random colors to the beat. It does not control sequences.

Please shoot me any ideas. I've been beating myself up over this one for a few days! Thanks.

spud1511
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.7

Sound 2 Light

Post by spud1511 »

I've been using it with no problem.
Here's how I did it (Assuming latest version of sbdj freestyler plugin installed from here http://www.virtualdj.com/plugins/index. ... onid=80275 - note you will need to be logged in with vdj license to download it)

Vdj8 (default skin) - in the 'master effect' in middle click arrow for drop down list, open 'auto start' list, and click the gear symbol that appears when you hover over the word freestyler.
This opens a little panel on the right, select 'enable', 'send beats', (and 'send commands' if you plan on using freestyler to trigger cues), also 'use local' if freestyler will be running on same PC.
Virtual DJ will now send stuff automatically - so you can go back to your favourite skin and not worry about loading plugin in future.

In freestyler - open the cue window and start a really slow cue running (slow will make it really easy to see when it picks up the beat), clicking on the little speaker icon in the cue window to the right of the running sequences name to remove the red line through it will enable react to sound for that sequence. Now your sequence should run to the beat of the song playing in vdj.
abluem97

Re: Sound 2 Light

Post by abluem97 »

spud1511 wrote:I've been using it with no problem.
Here's how I did it (Assuming latest version of sbdj freestyler plugin installed from here http://www.virtualdj.com/plugins/index. ... onid=80275 - note you will need to be logged in with vdj license to download it)

Vdj8 (default skin) - in the 'master effect' in middle click arrow for drop down list, open 'auto start' list, and click the gear symbol that appears when you hover over the word freestyler.
This opens a little panel on the right, select 'enable', 'send beats', (and 'send commands' if you plan on using freestyler to trigger cues), also 'use local' if freestyler will be running on same PC.
Virtual DJ will now send stuff automatically - so you can go back to your favourite skin and not worry about loading plugin in future.

In freestyler - open the cue window and start a really slow cue running (slow will make it really easy to see when it picks up the beat), clicking on the little speaker icon in the cue window to the right of the running sequences name to remove the red line through it will enable react to sound for that sequence. Now your sequence should run to the beat of the song playing in vdj.
Thanks for your response Spud. At least now I know that I'm no crazy! I've done everything as you described but I never seem to get it to control the sequences...I can have the fixture just randomly change to the beat, so I guess Freestyler is recieving the beat from VDJ. Would there be any other setting that I could be missing?

Thanks for your help.
spud1511
FS is my life

Post by spud1511 »

You do not use the freestyler sound to light plugin, not sure but this could be a source of conflict/interference. But you can open the sound to light plugin and make sure that it is disabled (no green lights on start/stop buttons) and jump to next scene option selected instead of random dmx values.

You can test by creating a really simple sequence like.
Scene 1 = red,
Scene 2 = green,
Scene 3 = blue,
But make sure the scene times are high, like 30 seconds each, then that should make it really obvious if it's working. If it takes the full 30 seconds to advance its not working right, if it doesn't follow the red/green/blue sequence repeating in that order it is taking random values somewhere, if it does follow the sequence over and over in order to the beat of the music then congratulations it worked.
Basshammer5x4x3x2x
FreeStyler Version: 3.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Post by Basshammer5x4x3x2x »

i have been at this every waking moment for 3 days, I have been through the mill on making everything work, cues working, scenes working, Made my own fixtures all working, when i bring up sound to Light and either trigger the fixtures manually or tap the microphone regardless of what color they were all on, The lights all change to RED and everything stops responding, I have to shut down freestyler, wait and turn it back on, turn on all the lights and everything is back up and running but Sound to light fails every time, I have a good signal and everything seems to be responding correctly, I have been threatening to uninstall the program completely and removing every trace of it and starting over again but I don't want to lose all all my fixtures it took me a year to create all these fixtures, Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this glitch ? i would greatly appreciate any Help !!!! if anyone has a solution or try line you can contact me at basshammer5x4x3x2x@gmail.com
spud1511
FS is my life

Post by spud1511 »

Basshammer5x4x3x2x wrote:i have been at this every waking moment for 3 days, I have been through the mill on making everything work, cues working, scenes working, Made my own fixtures all working, when i bring up sound to Light and either trigger the fixtures manually or tap the microphone regardless of what color they were all on, The lights all change to RED and everything stops responding
So you are using VDJ plugin like OP?

Return to “FreeStyler Software”