These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Problem: Blackout function of Freestyler works not correctly

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
alembala
Knows how to turn Lights ON

Problem: Blackout function of Freestyler works not correctly

Post by alembala »

I observed using Sound2light that the fixtures does not "blackout" if no sound is detected. I analyzed deeper the issue and found that are a lot of mistakes possible on configuring freestyler and the fixtures. With using "Blackout" and "Output" function of freestyler I found the "Blackout" is not working because the fixture profile seems wrong configured. I 'm using fixtures of Showtec (LED PAR56R) with 6 channels. I was not able to resolve the problem over the fixture creator. The reason behaves on the channels of Showtec fixture:

1 Red
2 Green
3 Blue
4 Macro off (0-15)/ Macro on 31 colors (16-255)
5 Strobe off (0-15)/ Strobe on with 16 speeds (16-255) OR speed (0-255) in relation to mode on ch 6
6 Mode (8 types): color on,fadings,chasings,sound action
The fixture of Showtec has no intensity, shutter or separate dimmer channel available!

Did I have understood it correctly that freestyler is handling the blackout only over the shutter settings in the fixture profile? If yes, I see no possibility to get running blackout correcly here, right?
Is there maybe another possibility to change the behaviour of freestyler (freestyler.ini?) for blackout?

It should be a checkbox available (use macro instead shutter settings for blackout) on firs tab of fixture profile which enables an additional tab named Blackout where I can configure a macro to set RGB channels to 0 or maybe the first listed macro is automaticly used for blackout.

Any ideas or workarounds are welcome.

Thanks a lot for every response.

alembala

Re: Problem: Blackout function of Freestyler works not corre

Post by alembala »

I have found a workaround.

First I found an note of "Spirit":

blackout depant on the Channels you use..
and FS looks at it in ONE order..

1. IF Fixture has Shutter, then Shutter CLOSED is used for Blackout.
2. IF Fixture Doesnt have Shutter, BUT intensitie channel, Then Intensitie MIN is used for Blackout
3. IF fixture doesnt have Shutter or Intensitie, BUT RGB channels, then RGB "0" is used for Blackout..

based to this Information I was able to reconfigure the fixture with fixture creator. But if Macro channel (6) or Color channel (4) is in use the blackout will not work!
That is really a tricky thing.

You can force the blackout to Color channel (4) and macro channel (6) if you define them in fixture creater as Amber channel and a White channel.
The blackout works then to 5 of 6 channels. But ATTENTION! if you use the master intensity in freestyler it will change the values of Amber and White channel too. This means the master itensity does not work properly if channel 4 and 6 are used!

Finally you have to decide if you keep in mind that Blackout does not work if the two channels of fixtures are used or you have a always working blackout but issues with master intensity if channel 4 and 6 are used. Normally the intensity master has no effect if macro or Color channel is used here (means lights not increased).

So my result is, it could be helpful if freestyler has a fourth option like do blackout over a macro.
Is this something I should post as suggestion for a new feature of freestyler?

Regards
alembala

Re: Problem: Blackout function of Freestyler works not corre

Post by alembala »

Hello,

I have still a problem with Blackout related to Sound 2 Light (Vers. 1.0.1.11 with freestyler 3.5.5) and react to sound.
The fixtures are reacting properly to sound beats and "Blackout if no Sound is detected" is enabled but has no effect. The lights always on and changing only the colors by every beat. Does S2L handling the blackout betweeen the beats different (only over shutter channel)?

Anybody any idea to fix this?
Thanks.

Regards
hobie01
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Re: Problem: Blackout function of Freestyler works not correctly

Post by hobie01 »

This solution fixed my problem, Thanks!
For most users it may be as easy as editing each of your fixtures and placing a "1" in the shutter channel, but I had a few lights with a shutter (dimmer) channel of 6.

Return to “FreeStyler Software”