These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

controling lights with midi

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
powerwaffle
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.5

controling lights with midi

Post by powerwaffle »

Im using loop midi from my daw, and i cant seem to control the lights in freestyle. Im just waiting on my dmxking usb before i purchase a 4 prong dimmer pack with regular plugin lights. I just want my midi notes to control on and of, or atleast have the the lights turn on while a note is down. im not sure which things im supposed to assign midi notes to in the midi setup.

kwelch007
Can now teach FS to others (Hopefully!)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Re: controling lights with midi

Post by kwelch007 »

I do this with a MIDI keyboard all the time. What has worked for me is to create over-ride butttons that have the functions you want. If you want momentary buttons (aka, only active while hold down your midi button) right-click the override button and check-off "Flash Button." Then, once you have it all working the way you want using just your computer, hook up your midi controller (you may have to restart FS.) Got to "Settings - Freestyler Setup" and choose "MIDI Control" on the left under "External Control."

Then, at the top of the window, choose your input device from the drop-down that says, "No Input." Then, in the main selection screen, scroll down until you find "Override Button 1"...it's a ways down. Following that will be "Override Button 2", "Override Button 3". Click "Start," and then click "Edit." This puts you in "Edit mode.

Realize that the buttons are ordered from left-to-right as you look at the Overrides window, so row 1 is buttons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, row 2 is 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, etc. So, to assign a midi button to an override, select the Override Button in the list, and then press your midi key or knob or fader or whatever (my keyboard has all of the above.) It should register in the list next to whichever button you are assigning. Once you're done, click save, and in theory your midi controller will now control that button.

You can also control about anything else. I control cues, master intensity, all kinds of stuff via midi.

Good luck!
Kendell
djansen1987
FreeStyler Version: x2
I Use FreeStyler for: Home Lighting Control

Post by djansen1987 »

Hi, do you maybe also have the same issue as me as well?

https://www.freestylersupport.com/fsfor ... f=7&t=7491
djansen1987
FreeStyler Version: x2
I Use FreeStyler for: Home Lighting Control

Post by djansen1987 »

Hi, do you maybe also have the same issue as me as well?

https://www.freestylersupport.com/fsfor ... f=7&t=7491

Return to “FreeStyler Software”