These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

midi triggered cues

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
Take Note
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

midi triggered cues

Post by Take Note »

Hi, I'm totally new to Freestyler and wondering if someone can answer a few questions for me? Here's what I am trying to acheive... I play in a covers band and want to trigger cues using midi notes at certain points during each song. I am at this point just using RGB cans, so each cue would just be a still scene of certain colours to certain cans, then a midi note triggers the next scene of colours to cans. Firstly, is this all possible? Secondly, how do I go about building perhaps a heap of preset scenes, and then creating a cuelist of the presets ready to to be triggered?

remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: midi triggered cues

Post by remco_k »

Take Note wrote:Hi, I'm totally new to Freestyler and wondering if someone can answer a few questions for me? Here's what I am trying to acheive... I play in a covers band and want to trigger cues using midi notes at certain points during each song. I am at this point just using RGB cans, so each cue would just be a still scene of certain colours to certain cans, then a midi note triggers the next scene of colours to cans. Firstly, is this all possible? Secondly, how do I go about building perhaps a heap of preset scenes, and then creating a cuelist of the presets ready to to be triggered?
I think everything you ask here is simply possible by enabling the midi control in the FreeStyler setup, configure what notes control what an off you go.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
Crxtreem
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8

Post by Crxtreem »

Intresting,

Is it also possible to play a midi file on the same pc and use this one to command Freestler?

Dutch:
Intressant.

Ik het dan ook mogelijk om een midifile af te spelen die Freestyler aanstuurt?
Zodat ik een intro kan maken die synchroon loopt qua muziek en licht.
remco_k

Post by remco_k »

Laten we het maar in het Engels houden dan snappen andere knakkers het ook nog. :mrgreen: Daar komt bij dat hier een Deen meeleest die erg veel ervaring op Midi gebied heeft

If you play a midi file, your soundcard or its driver plays the notes. So that won't work really well.
You need to find a way to get those midi played as, uhm, midi... How do you say that?
And then via a midi loopback (midi-out --> midi in) to get it to FreeStyler. I have no idea how to accomplish that, but I'd say it is not impossible.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Hambone
Band Member
FreeStyler Version: Beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Post by Hambone »

remco_k wrote:If you play a midi file, your soundcard or its driver plays the notes. So that won't work really well.
You need to find a way to get those midi played as, uhm, midi... How do you say that?
And then via a midi loopback (midi-out --> midi in) to get it to FreeStyler. I have no idea how to accomplish that, but I'd say it is not impossible.
If you play the MIDI file through Windows Media Player (or music playback program of your choice) then yes, the MIDI data will be sent to the sound card. However, if you use a MIDI sequencer program to read the file, you will be able to have it output to any MIDI device your system sees. Example programs would be SONAR , ProTools or FruityLoops, but I'm sure there are others available.

You will also need a MIDI loopback device driver - I would recommend LoopBE for this. You set your sequencer to output MIDI data to the LoopBE interface, then set FreeStyler to listen to the same device. Now, when you play back the MIDI file in the sequencer, FreeStyler will be able to "hear" the MIDI data and act appropriately according to how you have it set up.
-----
HP Pavilion dv7-1130us Laptop (Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on 2 GHz AMD Turion X2, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HD, ATI Radeon HD3200 video) with an Enttec PRO interface
http://two-for-flinching.com
tdreesmann
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.5
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

Post by tdreesmann »

Hi, I'm playing in a coverband too an like to know, how the midi-remote (maybe per NOTE ON/OFF) can run on stage. "Take Note", do you built a solution?

I like to know wether "CUELIST BUTTONS" are midi remotable ????? I can't find it in the preferences...

Need an idea, my cues are ready so far (hard work for 1 week! because of 30 fixtures!!!)

How can I aktivate the cuelist-buttons on stage?
remco_k

Post by remco_k »

tdreesmann wrote: I like to know wether "CUELIST BUTTONS" are midi remotable ????? I can't find it in the preferences...
FreeStyler setup->External control->Midi control
Scroll down to 'Toggle cuelist XX' and make your desired settings.

Or have a look at submasters control. Might work better for you with more control.
trapgunner
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler

Post by trapgunner »

Hambone wrote:
remco_k wrote:If you play a midi file, your soundcard or its driver plays the notes. So that won't work really well.
If you play the MIDI file through Windows Media Player (or music playback program of your choice) then yes, the MIDI data will be sent to the sound card. However, if you use a MIDI sequencer program to read the file, you will be able to have it output to any MIDI device your system sees. Example programs would be SONAR , ProTools or FruityLoops, but I'm sure there are others available.

You will also need a MIDI loopback device driver - I would recommend LoopBE for this. You set your sequencer to output MIDI data to the LoopBE interface, then set FreeStyler to listen to the same device. Now, when you play back the MIDI file in the sequencer, FreeStyler will be able to "hear" the MIDI data and act appropriately according to how you have it set up.

Hello I do exactly you said, I download LoopBE, I used Guitar Pro just for test to send MIDI Signals, LoopBe Sended to FreeStyler in the Midi Control page, I assigned one note for Manual Trigger all done, but when I open the Cue windows and play the guitar pro, nothing happen, when I assign a note direct from my midi controller nothing happen too, how I made this work?
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

"manual trigger" triggers a sequence to go to next step.. the sequence(s) has to runn before this will work. also look at the light above the manual trigger button on the cue window... it should light up when pressing the button from the cue window itself or from the midi
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
trapgunner
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler

Post by trapgunner »

everthing working! Now I am excited to try some automated things! thank you guys!
bpierre35
I Use FreeStyler for: Home Lighting Control

Post by bpierre35 »

hello,

How can I insert midi notes at certain points during my audio file ?
What kind of software ?
And how can I play this file ? With a media player ?
Thank's
Partyman
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 4.01
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by Partyman »

Virtual dj pro has a plugin to do exactly as you asked
Dobly
Just started using FS
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Post by Dobly »

bpierre35 wrote: July 7th, 2016, 3:37 pm hello,

How can I insert midi notes at certain points during my audio file ?
What kind of software ?
And how can I play this file ? With a media player ?
Thank's
I use Reaper to play back my backing tracks on stage. So my backing audio is on Track 1, while Track 2 is a midi file that controls the light through loopbe and into Freestyler.

Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMv4qtCXhhY

Return to “FreeStyler Software”