These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Completely new, freestyler looks promising

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
Jaykie
Can now teach FS to others (Hopefully!)
FreeStyler Version: 3.01
Twitter: http://twitter.com/jaykie

Completely new, freestyler looks promising

Post by Jaykie »

This is from the old forum
Cerebro
Hi,

I Just wanted to introduce myself to the boards. I have already talked with several of you. My name is Rob from Michigan and I am going to be using FS for decor and dance lighting.

I feel a lot of potential with this program, possibly to much. I have read and reread the tuts and manuals. I just received my DMX interface. I have several questions.

1.) Am I limited to the type of light controller I can use, or can it be any dmx controller? I would prefer to use one with a joystick for follow spots.

2.) Is there a fixture file for the Martin EFX 600, how do I create one without ripping the hair out of my head.

3.) Is there anyone in the Metro-Detroit area that would consider showing me the ropes for what this program can do? I am using mostly led pars and some martins.

No flamming please, look forward to all replies.

DJ support
all dmx controllable lighst can be used in freestyler! you may require a bit of imagination tho if its not a light

Mattotone
im a bit unsure what your asking with Q1.
Freestyler is a light controller, which also allows the use of a joystick. Are you looking for a controller to work with freestyler using a dmx Merger?

Cerebro
For question 1.) I was wondering if the Martin Freaky or the Elation 192 would be the best application considering the equipment I'm using. Do I have the option to choose which light dmx controller to use, or do I just have to use the software?

Equipment I am using:

2 martin efx 600
4 Led Par 64
2 martin dc1 water effect
1 martin dc3 oil wheel

What is a DMX merger? Thanks.

Mattotone
You don't have to use any other dmx controller to run your lighting,
Freestyler equipped with a suitable interface(which you say you have received) should be suitable for your lighting needs.
If you decide not to go the freestyler route any DMX software compatible with your interface or any DMX controller will also work.
But you will probably find freestyler to be the cheapest and easiest route to go down.
I got into DMX lighting last year, whilst trying other products i found this to be the easiest to use and have the features i was looking for.

Freestyler, allows you to create pre-programed shows to run back later via the software, or you may also add a joystick or use your mouse to control your lights live.
You may also use a midi controller such as the BCF2000 to use as an external controller.

A DMX Merger allows two dmx controllers EG freestyler and a traditional console to run on the same dmx line, controlling either the same or different fixtures on the same universe.

kind regards

Just a quick edit, How do you plan or using freestyler? im kind of wondering if your talking more about the 3d visualizer, rather then the control software?

Cerebro
Well Ryan has been helping me over the past couple weeks get used to DMX and the FS software. I want to use as a control software. I figure I will not need an external controller to control my light shows. Thanks, from what I have learned so far, I am really impressed with FS! I will definately be making a donation once I understand this programs full potential with the cues.

Return to “FreeStyler Software”