These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

The new Version of FS

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
Jaykie
Can now teach FS to others (Hopefully!)
FreeStyler Version: 3.01
Twitter: http://twitter.com/jaykie

The new Version of FS

Post by Jaykie »

Clyde
Hi there...
can anyone tell me, if the delay in MIDI the same as in the older version?
After my last Event´s i hate FS smile/mad.gif

Touching Buttons for Scenes or change speed is horrible with it...i´m very frustrated about it because it´s not funny...

But i don´t need to install and configure all to see the same as in Old version...

Kikabyte
I run freestyler with midi control and the responce is very very fast. I suggest you ask the question "Does anybody else experience slow change speeds whilst using midi with freestyler?" first. Before you asume, and start slagging off the program, and its designers......

Mattotone
I Use it quite alot and very rarely see a time lag, The only time i notice lag is when adjusting the RGB colours using faders and freestyler updates the colour visualizer, My computers quite low on ram and is probably the cause of it.

I Agree with kilabyte, if you do have a problem it may be a bug or something you have missed, please report before flaming.

Kind Reagrds

DeAl
I also use midi to control FS (via BCF2000) and did not notice any significant delay.
The only disadvantage is that as long as you change the speed of a running sequence by midi, the sequence is stopped. This is no problem when using long scene times, but in case of e.g. fast shutter chases, it's not so nice.

Ralp informed me this is no bug, he just did not find a way to work around this, up to now.

Greetz.

Clyde
Sorry,
i don´t want slagging(i think its a bad word) or anything else.
But i WORK with the programm and don´t leave run 1 Program for 1 Song or for the complete Evening.
I change Movements, Speed and Color/Gobo in 1 Song and that´s in ervery Song to make it Lighting :-)
And those Delay´s ind Speedchange or in changeing Sequenzes is very bad by working.
The Program is a good thing with some options and tools . but at this time it seems to be only for DJ´s which are LJ´s at one time and play rarely on FS.

That´s make me frustrated. smile/mad.gif
And, i don´t change anything within a few seconds

So don´t get me wrong!

lj_raph
Clyde, don't underhestimate the use and the knowledge of FreeStyler users. I know users who use FreeStyler very intensly without major problems and if a problem is detected I try to fix it quickly. But saying FS is a program just for DJ's will offend some LJ's. Don't forget that this software is free and it's a sparetime occupation which takes alot of time. If FreeStyler is just a thing with some options and tools than I advise you to use another software or to buy one (Maxyzz, Chamsys,...).

Best regards

Raph

Clyde
Ok,

i think my english is to bad to tell my problems with this failure. I don´t want to offend any user of Freestyler.
But your right...it´s time to go and buy a right solution for my problems because theres no way to work in my way...

Mattotone
Please be aware that you are currently using a BETA version of the software, if you are not happy with the way freestyler is working and can offer a way of improving (Without flaming) or if you have found a bug, Do not hesitate to send an Email to Raph, Im sure he is more than happy to find a solution to benefit the software and the community as a whole.

Kind regards

LJ eXodus
Could you please post the following?

- Your System specifications.
(CPU, RAM, HD, and Operating System)
(XP/ME/98 etc)

- Are you only running Freestyler, or at the same time other software?

- What exactly is slow in MIDI control?
(MIDI to DMX, MIDI for Program Control (Button etc))

- BCF2000 Firmware version (seen when turning the BCF2000 on.)

- JAVA Version

- CPU Usage during Freestyler.
(Press Ctrl-Alt-Del ONCE when Freestyler is running. On Windows XP.)

I myself use Freestyler for large shows, and work prof. as a LJ.
I take no offence in your statement ;) , because I know I don't experience any big lag on the MIDI control so the problem must be on your end.
And I also have reference because I have worked with M Maxxyz, so I'm not making it up just to make FS look good.

If you state the above, we might be able to fix the problem.

Clyde
Ok, i do it in german and maybe anyone can translate so there is no misunderstood...

Erstmal tut es mir leid, wenn ich jemanden beleidigt habe oder irgendwie angegriffen haben sollte! Die Software Freestyler ist wirklich gelungen und absolut genial mit den ganzen möglichkeiten.
Mich hat halt besonders aufgeregt, das MIDI-Signale nicht direkt umgesetzt werden. Das heißt, wenn ich während einen Musikstück´s die geschwindigkeit der Musik anpassen wollten, dann blieben erstmal die Scanner stehen. Habe ich während das Liedes ein Cue wechseln wollen, so blieb es entweder bei der Geschwindigkeit des vorhergehenden Cue´s oder aber das vorhergehende Cue lief im Hintergrund, obwohl es ausgeschaltet war und auch die entpsrechenden Anzeigen auf Aus standen.

Das war sehr frustrierend und ärgerlich, da ich die Musik einfach nicht ausdrücken könnte in Optischer Form.

Da ich aber auch die Version 2.95f hatte und nicht die Beta-Version war es umso ärgerlicher...

Nun hatte ich die Version 2.96a vom 16.05 probiert, wo diese Probleme behoben wurden...so schien es mir zumindest unter beobachtung aller Anzeigen und der DMX-Ausgabe.
Bei der version 2.96a vom 17.05 scheint irgendwas wieder nicht in Ordnung, muss aber nochmal genau nach schauen...

Andere Software bietet mir nicht das, was ich irgendwie Suche, daher bin ich ja bei Freestyler(es liegt nicht immer am Geld, sondern auch an Praxis). Raph hat da was tolles gezaubert, was ich auf gar keinen Fall schlecht machen wollte!!!
Wenn Ich jetzt durch meine Missverstandenen Postings negative Feedbacks erhalte, bin ich nich sauer...so sollte es halt nicht rüberkommen.

Es ist halt ärgerlich, wenn man nicht ausdrücken kann, was man möchte...Lichttechnisch als auch in Fremdsprachen....

Liebe Grüße
Clyde

Blade_vampire
Ich versuch mal mein Glück und übersetz es frei

Translation of Clyde`s reply:

I didn't want to insult anybody, freestyler is a great program with its many features.
My problem is that FS don't react to the MIDI-Signals immediately. That means, if i want to fit the speed of the light to the speed of the music, first the scanners are stopping. If i want to change the Cue, the speed stay´s at the value of the previous Cue or the previous Cue still running in background although its turned off!

That was very frustrating or me, cause i can't express the music by light.

I tryed the version 2.96a from May 16th, in which the problems are fixed, i thought.
In the version 2.96a from May 17th there seems to be any bugs.

Other programs don't offering me, what im looking for, cause this reason i want to use Freestyler. Ralph have made a great software, which i never want to offend at any time.

It makes me sad, that i can`t tell you what i mean exactly.
_____

The translation is not the best, but i hope it will be understand right.

Ich hab es jetzt mal so übersetzt wie ich denke dass du es meinst, mein Englisch ist auch nicht 100%, grade bei den Technischen Sachen, aber ich denke so wird es verstanden.

Ich kann dir leider auch nicht weiter helfen, ich bin grade dabei mich richtig einzuarbeiten in die Software. Es klang vielleicht wirklich ein bisschen wie ein Angriff gegen FS, dass andere Programme besser wären... Ich finde Freestyler spitze, also dafür, dass es Kostenlos ist, top, den ein oder anderen Fehler hat es (momentan) halt noch.

Gruß/LG Blade

fbnts
Hi,

As LJ eXodus as asked, can you provide an overview of your hardware?

I used to have a similar problem where by response to a key action was a few hundred miliseconds late. It turned out to be because I was using an old PII system and it wasn't powerful enough for Freestyler. Since upgrading I've had no problems.

Tom

Clyde
@Blade, Danke sehr.
Ich finde Freestyler auch spitze und würde höchstens das "Vorbild" als "konkurrenz" ansehen. Im Gegensatz zu anderen Programm, ist FS übersichtlich, einfach zu bedienen, intuitiv halt. Nur das mit dem Midi hat mich soo geärgert, vor allem an dem Abend aber schlecht machen wollte ich FS definitiv nicht.

@fbnts
i have PIV 2,4Ghz with 512MB Ram and 30GB HD with onboard Graphik and USB2.0
I dont know where the Bug with Midi...in the newest Beta 296e i cant save Midi...FS forgot always the MIDI Hardware and the Import data....

Jaykie
I think your RAM maybe a bit low. That might be causing delays...
Especially sinds you also use your onboards graphicscard, which uses a part of your normal RAM. Do you also run the Sunlite visualizer? That would use a lot of your RAM too.

Return to “FreeStyler Software”