These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

3D Object Import for 3DMEV Tutorial

Questions and discussions regarding the 3D Visualiser Software incorporated with FreeStyler. The software is provided by Sunlight.
Forum rules
Sunlight is the creater of Magic 3D Easy View we can try (the forum users) and help with any problems you have with the version provided with FreeStyler but remember this is a 3rd party program and not made by the FreeStyler Developer.
buttza
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/@buttza

3D Object Import for 3DMEV Tutorial

Post by buttza »

This is a little tutorial on importing 3D Models from Google 3D Warehouse to use in Magic Easy View 3D.
I hope it is easy to follow. :)

Download and Install Sketch Up Software.

http://www.sketchup.com/download

Download and Install 3DRAD Exporter Plugin for Sketchup

http://www.3drad.com/Google-SketchUp-To ... lug-in.htm

Here are the steps for downloading a model from Google 3D Warehouse.

1. Goto Google 3D Warehouse and search for an item. (Please note not everything is in there so you will have generalize. Example: Midas Pro 2 Mixer (Not Found) Midas Mixer (Results found)

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/

2. Click download button then always select the Sketchup Version. (*.skp)
Slide1 (Custom).JPG
3. You can either save the file or just open it in Sketchup.

4. A SketchUp window will open, just click 'start using sketch up.'

5. To export look at the toolbar and select Plugin => 3DRad => Export as Generic DirectX File. (Do not use the 'Include Backfaces'. This will include the original backdrops etc. You only want to save the primary object.)
Slide3 (Custom).JPG
6. Save to object to a location. I usually use the C:\SLMEV Beta\EasyViewLibrary as the default location and make a file to group the objects together. The file extension by default should be .X
Slide4 (Custom).JPG
7. Your object file is now saved.

8. Now open SLMEV.

9. Click add Object. If you saved the object in the suggested location it should show in you list by default or the folder will show by default. If not you will need to browse to your saved location.
Slide5 (Custom).JPG
10. The object you added might be way smaller than you had wanted. To fix this you will need to adjust the size parameters. of the object. Select the object and select the tab with the Ruler icon. adjust the measurements. You may need to use another object that you know is the right size to scale the new object accordingly. In this example I have used a drum kit.
Slide7 (Custom).JPG
11. All done.

Notes:

You can't import a fixture object and expect to control it with FS. The correct fixture objects are created wit a .SSL extension.

Some of the models that get imported from 3DWarehouse may have a place holder attached to it that throws out the correct sizing for the object so you will need to make incremental adjustments to get the sizes right. This is why I suggest having something for scaling purposes.

I hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nathanrs93
FreeStyler Version: None
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: 3D Object Import for 3DMEV Tutorial

Post by Nathanrs93 »

Thanks for that buttza. It's gonna be really help for such people like myself and others as well :)
Nathanrs93

Post by Nathanrs93 »

Hey buttza

Why does this happen when I export the 3D model via that plugin?

This is what happens and I get this in 3D view?
buttza
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/@buttza

Post by buttza »

Why does this happen when I export the 3D model via that plugin?
Those will show. When they create the model some of the modellers have a place minder attached, kind of like a watermark. When you put the ground in place in a different colour and lower the trailer to the correct height then it should hide the disc below the ground.

I know it isn't perfect but even with my layouts I still have a few models with those same place minders. :)

I have a friend who is going to show me how to remove them. Just didn't get around to it before hand. :)
Nathanrs93

Post by Nathanrs93 »

Oh right, I see. If you do find out out how to remove them be sure to let us know.

Return to “Magic 3D Easy View”