These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

My FS software and hardware setup.

Getting good with your lighting shows? Need to show others the power of your FreeStyler programming? Than drop some pictures or videos in this section and Show the world your handy work!
AndrewSchulcz
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

My FS software and hardware setup.

Post by AndrewSchulcz »

I've been using FS for a long time, and I really love the numerous options available in this program. It took me quite a while to create the fixtures and craft a setup that would work for my venue, but once built, it is a breeze to run.
My venue is at Westwinds Community Church, in Jackson, MI. The main sanctuary is a bit different from your typical brightly lit church. We have no white walls or stained glass windows. Instead, the main auditorium is set up more like a theater, with dark walls and no outside light sources. This gives me a great "canvas" with which to work. I use FS to control the HPL Source-Four stage and house lights dimmers packs, and use LED color washes over the band and walls. FS also controls 2 pairs of moving heads occasionally. The system runs on Windows 8.1, 64b, using dual monitors and a customized touchscreen interface (shown below) sending output through an ENTTEC USB Pro. The signal is sent through an A/B switch and to an ENTTEC D-Split, where it is separated into four separate runs around the room. To run my show, I use the touchscreen to control several submasters. For example, one SM is "Vocal Lights", which contains cues for "main vocals, piano, kong solo, etc." Another SM is set for lights over the band area, and contains cues that are linked to specific color palettes, allowing 20 preset color tones to be used. The SM color washes for the walls are the same. I have an extra SM that contains a bunch of multi-step cues that gently cycle the wall lights through the color spectrum, creating a dynamic environment.

In the pictures below, I do have a antiquated ETC Express 96/192 channel console. It is a tried and true workhorse, but due to the limited number of total channels, I cannot control any of the moving head fixtures. It also just doesn't program with anywhere near the speed and simplicity of FS, especially when changing RGB colors. Though I don't like to use it, I do have it wired in as a backup. Since I've bought much of the lighting equipment myself, I didn't want to have to spend 200$ for a switch, so I made my own. Using an old VGA monitor A/B switch, I spliced and soldered the wires so that I had two DMX inputs and a single DMX output. The light board goes to one input and the USB Pro to the other. The output from the switch then goes to the D-Split. This allows me to rapidly change the sources (if needed) without plugging or unplugging anything. It also allows me to leave the system connected to the ETC Express console during the week, which allows staff working in the auditorium to control the lights without the hassle of teaching them how to use FS. The A/B switch works fantastic, and since the D-Split is continuously power, I only get a split second flicker as sources change.

Image (if image doesn't display, try this link http://imgur.com/mphcFkd )
FS with touchscreen interface. I quickly grew tired of the plain background colors, so I decided to craft my own backgrounds. The 4 zone pages on the main screen have a blueprint of the auditorium and the fixture's icons are displayed in their approximate real-life positions, which makes working with them much easier!
I just purchased the BCF2000 and was given a Korg NanoControl within the last week, so I am working through the kinks to get them running before deciding which one to keep (I'm leaning towards the BCF2000, it seems more versatile- but I'd welcome any input or advice as to which would work better).

This shows the band area and some of the art on the walls. Each "flower" is painted with a different shade of glossy paint, so depending on which colors I use with the RGB wall washes, different flowers stand out sharply or fade away. It is a very minimalist effect, but they look great! There are also dozens if low-wattage incandescent bulbs hanging throughout the room. Setting them low enough so that just the filament glows orange creates a cool atmosphere.

That's my system, I hope it can stimulate fresh ideas for you all. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer.
Drew

djSupport
Hosts the Freestyler Forum and is an Admin!
FreeStyler Version: Forum la
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Re: My FS software and hardware setup.

Post by djSupport »

That looks great!
Heather Trott, You Babe! I Drive a Dacia Duster and Explore! Check it out
buttza
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/@buttza

Re: My FS software and hardware setup.

Post by buttza »

I like it mate. Nice work.