These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Solo Artist (Tribute to Ne-YO)

Getting good with your lighting shows? Need to show others the power of your FreeStyler programming? Than drop some pictures or videos in this section and Show the world your handy work!
Nathanrs93
FreeStyler Version: None
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Solo Artist (Tribute to Ne-YO)

Post by Nathanrs93 »

Hey folks :)

So this is a guy that is a tribute to an artist that we manage he was out the other night, naturally the lighting and sound was done by ourselves. I didn't take a big rig as it was only a small room but it was enough in my opinion.

Here's the video: Click Here

Opinions/Suggestions welcome :)
Nathanrs93

buttza
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/@buttza

Re: Solo Artist (Tribute to Ne-YO)

Post by buttza »

Nice Work. :)

I would suggest the following.

Have at least 1 white wash in front to light up the artist with light so they will remain slightly lit up when your scenes have dark steps.
During slower songs make your light changes slower. Usually I would only change lighting scenes rather than chases. This is where your moving head spot could be used to add texture to colour wash scenes.

I'm not trying to sound like a know all but just sharing some of my knowledge. :)

I did like the mini rig too. :) Good Job. :)
Nathanrs93

Post by Nathanrs93 »

Hey :) Thanks for the comments Buttza!

It was the original plan to have a white spot, but it was rushed at the last minute and I didn't have space because of the rig and the low ceiling. Yeah, I did try slowing the chases down, but I was running the moving heads live and my head was all over the place so I couldn't keep up with it at certain times. What do you mean by changing the scenes rather than the chases? You mean the colours? Explain :?

No, you don't sound like a know it all :) I've not really used PC software to this extent as I've always used lighting desks from starting to do it at school, it's only because of the budget with the business we use software otherwise I'd use a desk again.

Thanks. The mini rig was made up of a metal bar we had pull out a skip :lol: So I thought I'd take it as I didn't want to take a 3m set of truss we have just for a little show.
buttza
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/@buttza

Post by buttza »

Nathanrs93 wrote: What do you mean by changing the scenes rather than the chases? You mean the colours? Explain :?
Sorry. I will clarify. :)

Static Scene for the wash lights. Say all Blue at 80%
Then your movers on White with Circle Gobo slow rotating prism.
Then a static position on stage. Say both pointing on to singer.

Because there are no steps in this it can be an override button. Scene 1 (Intro)
Then next scene could be the same with but with a slow pan. Scene 2 - Cue because it has steps. (Verse)
These subtle movements slowly build the scenes.
Then the next scene could be a change in the movers position. From stage to Roof and then panning effect on the roof and Color Scheme change. Green wash with White movers. (Chorus)

Just as an example. :)

This allows mood light and doesn't take away from the artist. It's kinda the less is more saying in music applies with lighting in some cases. It also allow gradual building if you get my meaning. lol

This is one I did a couple of months ago a the church I go to.

http://youtu.be/WkX9grwrGWc

Most of our scenes are built this way. :)
Nathanrs93

Post by Nathanrs93 »

Nice work with the video! Simple but effective!

I see what you mean by building it up slowly and I'd love to be able to do it how you've done it :) I take it the colours and gobos were on OR? Or were they programmed in the cues?

Really good work and if you have any good tips/suggestions, please PM me Buttza!

Return to “Show us your shows...”