These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Upload of Freestyler Show to help a numpty..??

Getting good with your lighting shows? Need to show others the power of your FreeStyler programming? Than drop some pictures or videos in this section and Show the world your handy work!
Uriahdemon
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.5
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Upload of Freestyler Show to help a numpty..??

Post by Uriahdemon »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would mind uploading a show for me to allow me to see exactly how you are using the submasters, cue buttons, overrides etc to control a live show. I am still having difficulty in deciding how to set up FS for busking a live show and dont want to start down the wrong road, as I have already done that.

My setup is mainly par cans and moving heads. Thanks in advance !!

Hambone
Band Member
FreeStyler Version: Beta

Re: Upload of Freestyler Show to help a numpty..??

Post by Hambone »

Here's a backup of my current FS 3.4.8 setup. It's got some quirks (due to our old lighting tech's quirks :) ) and I'm in the process of rebuilding the whole setup to work better with our current configuration where I control the lights from stage via MIDI. When i get it done I'll upload it too...

There's a MEV stage included in the zip file, copy it to the EasyView_data folder. There are tons of keyboard shortcuts for live busking:
a, s, d, f - Facial lights - italian blue, rose pink, rose purple, orange
g - Facial lights - blackout
j, k, l, ; - Back light - yellow, red, blue, green
h - Back light - blackout
q, w, e, r - Drum lights - channels 1, 2, 3, 4
t - Drum lights - blackout
num 0 - strobe all (strobe and moving heads)
num . - blackout strobe all
num 1, 2, 3 - slow, medium, fast strobe
num 4, 5, 6 - slow, medium, fast moving head-only strobe
num 7 - Molefay accent
num 8 - Molefay solo
u, i, o, p - specials for when we play Pour Some Sugar On Me - just reds (including moving heads), just yellows, just greens, and ALL LIGHTS at full power (aka the fuse killer :) )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-----
HP Pavilion dv7-1130us Laptop (Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on 2 GHz AMD Turion X2, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HD, ATI Radeon HD3200 video) with an Enttec PRO interface
http://two-for-flinching.com
Uriahdemon
FS is my life

Post by Uriahdemon »

Hi Mate,

Thanks very much for this, I really do appreciate it !!

I have managed to set it up in FS and EV so having a good look now as to how you have done things.

Again much appreciated and I am sure there may be a couple of questions around the likes of how did you do that etc.

Rgds

Mac
Hambone
Band Member

Post by Hambone »

No prob, if you have any questions feel free to ask away! Like I said, there are a few things that I'm changing during the conversion to 3.5.0 that won't seem as weird, like changing what stuff is on which submaster (I *HATE* the way the intels are split across tabs right now) and making better use of zones and cue list buttons.

Also, be aware that the molefay array in EV will pound the snot out of your computer even if it's a fast one, so expect some lag when you fire them :)
-----
HP Pavilion dv7-1130us Laptop (Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on 2 GHz AMD Turion X2, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HD, ATI Radeon HD3200 video) with an Enttec PRO interface
Uriahdemon
FS is my life

Post by Uriahdemon »

Hi, This is exactly what I needed to give me a feel for how people are actually using FS for real. So again I really do appreciate you giving me some time to understand how you reached here.

I have a few questions to start off with if you dont mind please -

My idea was to run the majority of the basic scenes via the cue list buttons and add some special effects and moving head pieces via the submasters. I set up to do this (or so I thought) however when I used the submasters to do this the cue list effect was lost and vice versa if I had something running on the submasters that would be lost when I changed something on the cue list. How have you set this up to allow the flexibility between both.

The cue list buttons when disengaged go to blackout.... HOW...??

If you were live how would you blackout a number of scenes etc and then introduce some lighting for just in between songs. I think you have called it banter on the cue list buttons. I know I could introduce the master blackout button but how do you get rid of that smoothly and introduce your banter lights. Is that just quick hand play....??

I have been trying to introduce a strobe on the override buttons is that possible as I notice your strobe effects on the overrides dont operate...??

I note you have the submasters for the Intels set to all move as one.... HOW...??

When you are actually operating this live do you have cue list buttons, submasters and override buttons as your main control options...??

Apologies for all the questions however I am keen to learn.

Rgds Mac
Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Post by Spirit »

hi

i also Downloaded the Show from Hambone, and it Looks Nice, Job well done.
My idea was to run the majority of the basic scenes via the cue list buttons and add some special effects and moving head pieces via the submasters. I set up to do this (or so I thought) however when I used the submasters to do this the cue list effect was lost and vice versa if I had something running on the submasters that would be lost when I changed something on the cue list. How have you set this up to allow the flexibility between both.
As Hambone did this Briljant.
But the main Idea is IF like to Use Both the Submasters and Cuelist buttons, then you need to take some things in Acount..

As with the submaster its the idea to have Differnt fixture Attributes/Channels On differnt SM's.
Also you need to take in acount that On each Sequence you Put on the submaster You add the SAME Fixture channels to it, If you mix this it will not work OK anymore.
So example: SM=1 Gobo so ONLY the Gobo channels are set to Fade or snap.
SM=2 Color so ONLY the Color channels are to be set to Fade or snap.
SM3= Dimmer and Shutter So make sure all on the sequences you put on Have the Dimmer and Shutter channels set to Fade or snap

With the Cuelist buttons as Hambone did IF you make a CUELIST(button) make Sure ALL the Fixture channels are Changed to the Correct value.
So CueListButton1= ALL channels Gobo/Color/Dimmer/Shutter/Parcans/Ledpars need to be set as Fade or snap
again CLB2= ALL channels Gobo/Color/Dimmer/Shutter/Parcans/Ledpars need to be set as Fade or snap
The cue list buttons when disengaged go to blackout.... HOW...??
Yes i also like to know how this happins.
I have been trying to introduce a strobe on the override buttons is that possible as I notice your strobe effects on the overrides dont operate...??
Work ok with me only its a bit slow.
I note you have the submasters for the Intels set to all move as one.... HOW...??
You can Set a "SM group" by right clicking on the submaster.

/spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I'm also still busy to create a Show for your Backup file you sended buts been realy Busy.
So sorry for the Long waiting.

But i now also see What you problem is so Please wait and i have a example for your show.. ;)

/spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
Uriahdemon
FS is my life

Post by Uriahdemon »

Thanks Spirit, I feel I am getting close to revealing where I went wrong and would really appreciate you getting your interpretation of my setup to me. I also appreciate you are busy so please take the time you need. I do appreciate all this advice and guidance from yourself and Hambone !!

Striving to understand FS.

Rgds Mac
Hambone
Band Member

Post by Hambone »

Ok here's my brand-new just-finished going-on-its-maiden-voyage-tonight 3.5.0 setup. In the zip file you will find a Freestyler backup with all the extra OSD files generated (you shouldn't need them but just in case...) and another zip file containing everything you'll need for the new EasyView stage sorted into the necessary folders.

I should also note that I did not include any fixtures in the stage for the Drum lights and strobe, as I've run out of time and we don't currently use them - they're just there for the future.

Keyboard assignments:

a, s, d, f - Override buttons 1-4 - Facial Pink, Purple, Blue, Orange
g - Override button 5 - Facial Blackout
j, k, l, ; - Override buttons 7-10 - Backlight Yellow, Red, Blue, Green
h - Override button 11 - Backlight Blackout
z, x, c, v - Override buttons 13-16 - Drum 1, 2, 3, 4
b - Override button 17 - Drum Blackout
u, i, o, p - Override buttons 27-30 - DL Red, DL Yellow, DL Green, DL GO
num0 - Override button 25 - Strobe All
num. - Override button 26 - Blackout Strobe
num1, num2, num3 - Override buttons 19-21 - Strobe Slow, Med, Fast
num4, num5, num6 - Override buttons 22-24 - Intel Strobe Slow, Med, Fast
num7 - Override button 12 - Molefay Accent
num8 - Override button 18 - Molefay Solo

A, S, D, F - Group Select - Facial Pink, Purple, Blue, Orange
J, K, L, : - Group Select - Backlight Yellow, Red, Blue, Green
I, O - Group Select - Intels Inner and Outer
<, > - Create sequence Next scene, Previous scene
? - Locate Selected Fixtures
SPACE - Toggle Blackout
' - Release All
F1, F2, F3, F4 - Zone select 1-4
q, w, e, r - Submaster Page 1-4
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - Toggle Submaster 1-5
\ - Tap Sync
] - Manual Trigger
[ - Sound2Light Trigger
| - Disable Tap Sync/Manual Trigger
-----------------------
MIDI assignments (used with my ART X15 and MIDI-OX to translate program change to MIDI note+velocity), all page-independant:

84 - Toggle Blackout

0 - Toggle Cuelist 1 - Cool Dark Static
1 - Toggle Cuelist 3 - Cool Dark Motion
2 - Toggle Cuelist 5 - Cool Bright Static
3 - Toggle Cuelist 7 - Cool Bright Motion
4 - Toggle Cuelist 9 - Between Songs
5 - Toggle Cuelist 2 - Warm Dark Static
6 - Toggle Cuelist 4 - Warm Dark Motion
7 - Toggle Cuelist 6 - Warm Bright Static
8 - Toggle Cuelist 8 - Warm Bright Motion
19 - Toggle Cuelist 10 - YRBG Cycle
14 - Toggle Cuelist 11 - Set Break

9 - Override button 18 - Molefay Solo
15 - Override button 27 - DL Red
16 - Override button 28 - DL Yellow
17 - Override button 29 - DL Green
18 - Override button 30 - DL GO
-----------------------

Now, to answer your questions:
1. I use the cue list buttons for auto-pilot and starting scenes, then select my submasters and run them to override what's going on in the cue list buttons. Selecting another cue list button will override the submasters, after which you can again override it by running submasters. Selecting the same cue list button will black everything out. This is all default behaviour in FS.

I created the cue lists by selecting the submasters I wanted and running them to build the list, substituted sequences as needed by manually adding them to the cue list, then saving and assigning it to a button.

2. The banter lights (called Between Songs in this setup): Pressing a cue list button while another one is running will just fade (or snap depending on the sequences) between buttons, so one button press to call up the lights, another to start a sequence for the next song :)

3. Strobe - I forgot to include it in the stage which is why it doesn't work. If you view the DMX output in FS you'll see it's working properly :)

4. Linking submasters together: you can do this by right-clicking a submaster and assigning it to a group. Each SM assigned to a specific group will move when the fader is changed for any SM's in that group.

5. Live operation - yes, most operation is submasters, cue list buttons, and overrides (using keyboard shortcuts). There's a whole lot of variety to be had from this setup without having to muck around with individual fixture settings, though that of course can also be done (i.e. for gobo shakes on the intels).

Hope that answers everything for you, feel free to ask more questions if you have any :) Enjoy!
-----
Hambone
Band Member

Post by Hambone »

Crap, the zip file is 3 MB, Here it is split into 3 files, you'll have to use 7 Zip or another utility to recombine and extract, sorry about that!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-----
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

hi hambone.

its not normal if you disbale a Cuelist button it will blackout all sequences. because these a Feature called "Restore Value".
but i will take contact with the devolper.

and all the FSD files are also on the backup file.
take a look at the last file on the backup these are all the FSD files.

/spirit
Uriahdemon
FS is my life

Post by Uriahdemon »

Hi Hambone,

Thanks for this and I will load it up today for a look.

Just quickly from your answers. Which one covers how you get the cue list buttons to blackout when you deselect them please...?

How did it work out anyway...?

Rgds Mac
Uriahdemon
FS is my life

Post by Uriahdemon »

Hi Hambone,

Thanks for this and I will load it up today for a look.

Just quickly from your answers. Which one covers how you get the cue list buttons to blackout when you deselect them please...?

How did it work out anyway...?

Rgds Mac
Uriahdemon
FS is my life

Post by Uriahdemon »

OK, I have all the files in the form of .fsd. I have tried opening them from FS but cannot find a way. I am obviously missing something really basic...... can anyone help please...??
Hambone
Band Member

Post by Hambone »

Uriahdemon, as Spirit said, you can ignore the fsd files, as they get included in the back and restore processes. I wasn't sure about that, which is why I included them (in older versions of Freestyler, only some of them got included in the backup - this has been fixed :) )

As for the cuelist buttons and blackout... I have all my fixtures set to off (or blackout, or closed shutter) by default when FS starts, and they only get turned on by submasters, cuelist buttons, or override buttons. In previous versions of FS, when you clicked a cuelist button a second time to turn it off, all channel values for all fixtures involved would get set to zero, essentially causing a blackout. In 3.5.0, this is still the case, unless you have to option "restore only shutter channels" set in the cog over the cuelist buttons. If that is checked, only the shutter/intensity channel for the fixtures gets set back to zero. I should also note that this happens even if one or more sequences started by the cuelist button have the "Restore Values" option enabled. So, basically what I'm saying is that I didn't have to do anything special to get the buttons to blackout when they're turned off - FreeStyler with default settings does this automatically.

I did just find a great feature in the cuelist button options called "keep cuelists running", which makes it so that once you turn on a cuelist button, the only way to turn it off is to select another cuelist button. Wish I had known that this weekend, as there were several times I accidentally double-tapped my footswitch and caused a blackout in the middle of a song :)

As for the shows this weekend, everything went great for the most part, except for the accidental blackouts. I did also find that the auto sequence for my molefays needs to be tweaked, because having them on even at 50% for more than a second or two is just too long and causes the audience to wince and turn away or cover their faces :) Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any video this time, but the next time we do a full-rig show (11/3) I'll make sure to get some video and post it so you can see what the real-world version looks like. If I do say so myself, it looks pretty sweet :)

I've gotta go walk my dogs now, but when I get back I'm going to make the molefay tweaks and update the stage to include the rest of the fixtures, then I'll upload for you to play with... cheers!
-----
Hambone
Band Member

Post by Hambone »

As promised, here is the updated system. I've tweaked the molefay auto sequence, as well as the intel color and shutter sequences. I've also added the strobe and drum lights to the EV stage. In the interest of keeping the download size manageable, I've removed all the objects from the stage export (they're all stock objects that come with EV anyway). If you have any problems with it, let me know.
-----
Uriahdemon
FS is my life

Post by Uriahdemon »

Hambone, your a star and a gentleman.

I will see if I can load up your show on the advice given and have a play.

Thanks very much again however there will be questions so please brace yourself. If you were this side of the pond I would buy the beers !!!

Your patience and tolerance much appreciated.

Rgds Mac
Hambone
Band Member

Post by Hambone »

As promised, here's a bit of video from our show last Saturday night. Sadly, the dimmer pack for the molefays was being stupid and refusing to fade (DMX 1 or higher put them on full-on!!) so they were just there for decoration... oh well :) Let me know what you think!

[youtube]http://youtu.be/FGwnCZtMZpc[/youtube]
-----
Hambone
Band Member

Post by Hambone »

Well that didn't work as expected... let's try again :)

-----
Uriahdemon
FS is my life

Post by Uriahdemon »

Brilliant John,

To see the show you have put together in FS come to life in a live situation is better than toiling over 1,000 words to try and explain. An excellent setup and very professionally played and executed (both the lighting and the music)

PS.... do you ever get confused on what pedals to hit...?? :lol:
Hambone
Band Member

Post by Hambone »

Thanks for the kind words! As for pedal confusion, it's relatively rare that I hit the wrong button, as I've got them laid out pretty logically (or at least logical to me :) ) The problem I run into more often is either not hitting the button hard enough to trigger it, or "double-clicking" it. The no-click really only affects my guitar, leaving me on the wrong patch - REALLY loud solo patch when it should be quieter rhythm, or vice-versa - and the double-click only affects the lights - causing a blackout from deselecting a cuelist button... Fortunately the double-click problem has gone away with the discovery of the "keep cuelists running" option, so it's mostly the no-click that gives me grief now :)

For the uber-curious, my foot control consists of two ART X-15 Ultrafoot controllers in a custom stand that stacks them on top of each other much like a multi-tier keyboard stand. The bottom controller is for my guitar processor, the top controller is for lights.

The X-15 has 10 patch buttons (two rows of 5 buttons), plus a dedicated bypass button and bank up/down buttons, and two optical rocker pedals. Sadly the optical strips on all four rocker pedals are shot so they don't work - one of these days I'll get around to repairing them :) Once I get them working again, I'll probably assign them to facial and backlight submaster intensity controls.

For lighting control, I've got it set up like this:
In bank 1, the buttons are:
1 - Cool dark static
2 - Cool dark motion
3 - Cool bright static
4 - Cool bright motion
5 - Between songs

6 - Warm dark static
7 - Warm dark motion
8 - Warm bright static
9 - Warm bright motion
10 - Molefay solo bump (each press flashes the molefays for half a second)

In bank 2, the buttons are:
1 - nothing yet - eventually a backlight chase override
2 - nothing yet - eventually a backlight chase override
3 - nothing yet - eventually a backlight chase override
4 - nothing yet - eventually a backlight chase override
5 - Set Break scene

6 - DL Red
7 - DL Yellow
8 - DL Green
9 - DL GO!
10 - YRBG Color Cycle

The 4 DL buttons are for Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar on Me at the beginning of the second verse where the lyrics are "Red light, yellow light, green light, GO!" - cheesy but it really has an impact on the audience :)
-----
studijo
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by studijo »

Dear Hambone,

Have read this tread with many interested and I also was surprised how you handle FS.

When I open your FS Backup file (in FS 3.5.7) I get a popup: 'Main configuration file seems to be corrupt, do you want to continue?'. When I confirm I get an Error - Warning: 'Please restart FreeStyler after restore. Until then no changes will be saved. When I confirm with yes, nothing happens.

Are you sure your backup file called '2012-10-22' works fine?

Thanks for your feedback, anyway.
Freestyler 3.5.9 on Windows 8.1 with DMX4All USB interface.
BCF2000 with firmware 1.10
Fixture setup: 4 x PAR64 controlled by Dimmpack, 2 x Eurolite TSL-200 scanners, 1 x Ayra TDC-33, 1 x Geni FL-1800D strobo, 1 x Antari Z-1500 fog machine
Hambone
Band Member

Post by Hambone »

Hi Johan,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. It's possible that there was something wrong with the backup file, but as far as I know it was OK. I just upgraded from 3.5.7 to 3.5.8 and made a backup before doing so (tested and restores just fine in 3.5.8) - I've uploaded that backup as a ZIP file attachment. Like in my other backups, I've included the Easy View stage file I use, move that to the EasyView_data directory inside your FreeStyler directory to use it.

Let me know if you have any problems or any other questions :)
-----

Return to “Show us your shows...”