These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Simple sequencing question

Discuss the latest developments or get support for them HERE.
trindt
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Simple sequencing question

Post by trindt »

Hello all, brand new Freestyler user here. I have what I expect is an easy question. I would like to set up a very simple sequence that when executed will fade a fixture in quickly from zero to about a quarter intensity on a single color (blue). For the second step, I'd like the fade in to continue from the quarter intensity value up to maximum. I've successfully created a sequence to do this. Step 1 is set to Fade Time 1000 and Scene Time 1000, with the final value for the blue channel set to 63 and the blue channel set to "fade." Step 2 is set to Fade Time 20000 and Scene Time 20000, final value for the blue channel set to 255, blue channel also on "fade." In the cue list, I set the sequence to not repeat.

Now, this seems to work fine with one exception. When I run the sequence, the fade ins work as I expect, but after the sequence ends I would like to be able to manually turn the fixture off. No problem - I created a simple sequence to do that. The problem is that I can't execute the "off" sequence I created right away. It seems to take about another 20 seconds before the "off" sequence will work. Oddly, I can execute the "off" sequence at any time during the playback of the fade in sequence and it works fine. The delay only occurs after the original sequence finishes.

Sorry for the long winded post - hopefully this one will be easy for you all.

spud1511
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.7
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Re: Simple sequencing question

Post by spud1511 »

Are you sure the sequence isn't still running?
As in can you confirm that there are only 3 steps to the sequence showing in the cue window, to make sure the 20 second fade to 255 hasn't been repeated and running again as a 4th step (as this wouldn't be visible to you fading from the 255 it already reached to 255 is basically saying do nothing for 20 seconds).
trindt

Post by trindt »

Hi, and thanks for getting back to me so quickly! :)

The sequence editor only shows the two steps, and the sequence playing icon (red rectangle) changes back to the play icon after the 21 seconds elapses. I agree that it sounds like the sequence is somehow continuing and goes into some uninterruptable state, but I don't see any other steps. Also, when the sequence is *definitely* running - play icon is red and the fade in is occurring, I can easily interrupt the sequence with the "turn off" sequence. It's only after it says it's complete that I'm unable to do anything for a further 20 seconds.
trindt

Post by trindt »

OK, problem seems to be solved. For the second step I set the "speed" to 0.1 seconds and left the fade at 20 seconds. Is the total time of a scene calculated at "fade time" + "scene time?" That's not what I got out of reading the documentation, but it seems that my understanding may not have been correct.
spud1511
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.7
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by spud1511 »

Think of the scene time as the time gap before freestyler starts the next scene in the sequence you create, and the fade time is how long the value takes to change gradually to its new value.

A basic example would be something like;
A slow fade from 1st scene could still be carrying on after 2nd or 3rd scene starts if the fade time is longer than the scene time.

Or the other way round, a fade could finish and have a gap before the next scene starts.
trindt

Post by trindt »

Thanks for the input - I think you've straightened out my understanding. :)
trindt

Post by trindt »

Well, I'm still really scratching my head about this issue. I have created a very simple sequence with only one scene. The scene is set with a fade time of 4000 and a scene time of 4000. The end color I'm fading into is a simple orange (255 on the red and amber channels). I have the "loop on/off" set to not loop. When I hit the play button, the scene executes, fading from my start point (zero on all channels) to the desired 255 on red and amber. After the 4 seconds, the playing button (red square) changes back to the blue arrow. Unfortunately, I still have no control to start another sequence until another 4 seconds have passed. It seems to me that with these settings that the scene should complete in four seconds, but the behavior seems to be that the fade occurs, and *then* the scene time occurs. For example, if I set the fade to 4000 and the scene time to 100, I can regain control shortly after the scene executes. Am I understanding this correctly? The manual indicates that the fade and scene run in parallel, but it seems that they run in sequence.

Return to “FreeStyler 3rd Party Addons and utilities”