These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

ELO 15in touchscreen at eBay

Know a Site that has good deals on Lighting and Sound Equipment?
Want to share your Online Store?
GaryBonaducci
DJ
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

ELO 15in touchscreen at eBay

Post by GaryBonaducci »

Great deal going on right now for a used ELO 15in touchscreen at eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0337718169

Buy It Now price of only $40.00 + 12.75 UPS Ground shipping. I picked one up this weekend to experiment with. It's selling fast!

matt
Admin
FreeStyler Version: NULL
Twitter: twitter.com/hankosky

Re: ELO 15in touchscreen at eBay

Post by matt »

Awsome Deal!

Did yours work ok? what was the quality of the unit? Blemishes?
Matt Hankosky
twitter.com/hankosky
flickr.com/photos/mattxhank
GaryBonaducci
DJ

Post by GaryBonaducci »

I just got it on Thursday, less than a week after purchasing it. I was one of the first bidders.

A nice surprise was the unit came with a thick black plastic bezel. The bezel has holes drilled along the edges and it was very slightly worn. This picture shows the bezel, but my unit did not come with the 19" rack mount adapter: http://www.elotouch.com/images/products/1547l0608.jpg I ordered a VESA rack mount adapter from Provantage.com: http://www.provantage.com/startech-rklcdbk~ASTR9167.htm For my purpose having the bezel is more important than it being worn, so I was fine with its condition. It's also a bezel apparently made to back-mount the unit to a kiosk, so it has a lot of visible "waves" in it from the injection molding process. It's not a cosmetic outside frame for the screen.

The device has a glass screen, so it was easy to clean up the screen and have it look new. There was a bunch of fingerprints all over it when I opened it, but after wiping the screen down it looked great and had no scratches. There is a few pieces of dust between the touchscreen glass and the monitor surface, though. I'm hoping they dislodge themselves when I transport the screen from gig-to-gig; but if not, it doesn't appear too difficult to disassemble the unit and use some compressed air to clean it off. For $53 I'm not going to complain! The display has moderate brightness and images appear very slightly washed out. But I'll be using it in a darkened room and my video card's gamma adjustment was able to get a look I like better; so again, I'm not worried about it at all.

The display has a set of five pushbutton switches for the Power and OSD picture adjustment controls mounted onto a circuit board just behind the bezel on the lower right side of the display. The unit automatically turns on when power is applied, so accessing the power button here isn't necessary.

There is a twisted pair of red and black colored wires coming out from the left side. You can partially see these wires in the seller's third photo. I measured an unregulated 6~7 volts coming out of it that would fluctuate when I hit the power switch. Power was available on these leads no matter if the power was on or off, but that could be because I didn't put a load on it. I'm not sure what it's for; ELO's website and user's manual make no mention of these wires, so it must have been added specifically for this lot of units.

This touchscreen did not come with a serial port. Only the USB port was available. Vista immediately recognized the touchscreen, but the OS loaded a generic mouse driver that flipped the touchscreen upside-down. When I downloaded and installed ELO's driver, it worked correctly. At first, ELO's driver tried setting up the touchscreen on my main monitor, but later it somehow figured out the touchscreen was on my display #2 and correctly continued with setup.

Finally, I want to point out that this is one of the cheapest touchscreens on eBay that comes with a built-in power supply. There are other cheap touchscreens; but after adding ~$30 + postage for an external power supply, they're no longer as much of a value as this screen.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it! I'm definitely going to continue using it. If Ralf can take care of a few feature requests and bug fixes, I eventually want to make this my sole working interface for my FreeStyler application. The screen's only limitation is that at 1024x768 native resolution, it only offers a basic amount of space for FreeStyler's interface. I'm kind of tempted now to try a rack-mounted 19" display, but the problem with those screens is that they take up 8U of rack space. This 15" display takes up only about 6U and allows me to use my rack more efficiently. I'm hoping that over time, FreeStyler's touchscreen interface can be streamlined to fit this screen size more effectively. I'm working on one design now with slimmer buttons to see if we can achieve this.

It looks like the seller has a lot of these touchscreens, and he's also selling a lot of them too! If you don't have one already, I definitely recommend you and any FreeStyler developer to pick one up before this deal is gone! :D

ELO's webpage for the 1547L, including link to driver:
http://www.elotouch.com/Products/Discon ... 7l0608.asp

User's manual:
http://media.elotouch.com/pdfs/manuals/008521_f.pdf
matt
Admin

Post by matt »

WOW Thanks for that Awesome Review.

Just purchased one!
Matt Hankosky
twitter.com/hankosky
GaryBonaducci
DJ

Post by GaryBonaducci »

matt wrote:WOW Thanks for that Awesome Review.
I'm happy to help! (Yeah, once I start typing, I can't stop sometimes... :lol: )
Just purchased one!
Glad you were able to get one. They quickly sold a hundred of them over the week!

When testing my screen, I used a very high quality VGA cable from an unused Hitachi monitor. But when I finally put my monitor in a case, I tried to save even more money by getting a cheap cable. Wrong move! The picture quality fell immensely. I have ghosting on all of the edges now, so I just ordered a premium VGA cable to replace it. Another DJ recommended this site, which has incredible deals on cables: http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2
matt
Admin

Post by matt »

Just got it today and worked like a charm!
Matt Hankosky
twitter.com/hankosky

Return to “Equipment Stores”