These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Programming the Behringer FCB1010

Questions regarding general external control forum.
stretchtuning
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 2.96j
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

Programming the Behringer FCB1010

Post by stretchtuning »

The Behringer FCB1010 is one if the few midi pedal controllers around that can send out NOTE messages. Note messages are the only way a mdi controller can communicate with Freestyler. In the FCB1010 manual on page 10, section 2.4.6 (I just did this for myself) is the explanation for programming the pedal to send out NOTE messages. The thing to get is that the FCB1010 does NOT come pre-programmed to send NOTE messages. Through a series of pedal holds and tap you can enter the programming mode, assign the note number you want the particular pedal to send out and do it over and over for each pedal (and in each bank) you plan to use. It's as manual as it sounds. But... it's what makes this controller the most flexible and customizable controller on the market.

After you got the pedals of choice sending out midi NOTE messages, you have one more thing to do. The FCB1010 sends out a midi velocity of 100. Freestyler's default value is looking for 127. Navigate to the Freestyler directory (mine is C:\Program Files\FreeStyler) and find the "freestyler" configuration settings file (I believe it's an ".ini" file and opens with Wordpad). After opening the file looks towards the bottom for this value "Triggervalue=127" under the "Midi" section. This is the setting that tells Freestyler to look for a particular velocity value. Change the number to you controller's velocity output (100 in our case), save and close the file.

If you don't know your controllers velocity output value, Freestyler's midi controll window will tell you as you program midi triggers. Whatever that velocity value is should be what you change the "TriggerValue=" to.

After that, program Freestyler in the usual manner.

ned911
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler

Re: Programming the Behringer FCB1010

Post by ned911 »

Check Yahoo Groups for the FCB group. Someone has written software to program the pedal which will make it easier than tapping buttons.
stretchtuning

Post by stretchtuning »

Thanks for the tip.
Tee1234

Post by Tee1234 »

I've got my fcb1010 working with freestyler.
I've found I sometimes have to push the pedal 3 or 4 times to change the patch for freestyler. I'm sure its not the pedal as I'm controlling a pod aswell as the lighting & have done no problems with controlling the pod.
When assigning midi channels I've also found the value (beside the midi channel when assigning) jumps around in value, ie first push will goto to 64 then 0, push again it goes to 64 to 72 next push 64 to 109.
Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere in the fcb1010 causing this problem? I've also found that changing the triggervalue in the ini file doesn't make any effort, ie I've changed it to 0 & 12 & 64 but has no effect on the controlling freestyler.

Any advise would be great thanks
stretchtuning

Post by stretchtuning »

Hmmm...

Right off the bat it sounds like a bad controller or the individual pedal is bad. I have to assume that you have programmed the pedals to send out midi notes like described above. That being so, the value should always go 64 on a push and to 0 on the release. That's how the FCB1010 is designed. The .ini file should be set to 64 accordingly. I would get a repair person to check the pedal out.

You could try taking the 'pod' out of the setup and see if the FCB1010 works properly. If that's doesn't help, I don't really have any other suggestions.
kikabyte
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 3.00

Post by kikabyte »

I put my FCB101 together with freestyler a long time ago, and I ran into issues with the newer software releases with velocity triggering. The only way round I could find way to assign the expression pedal to a note using the different pedal numbers, then alter the note number with the expression pedal. Complicated on stage I assure you! So if I wanted to trigger blackout, I would select button 9, (that would set the note number to ‘01’) then when I was ready, move the expression pedal forwards to make it trigger freestyler (the velocity then went from 0 – 127 and hit the trigger number on the way).

Using the software available through the yahoo groups, and exporting settings from freestyler, I’m sure between us we can come up with an instant package files to help new users of the FCB integrate it straight into freestyler. I having failed to get single pedal triggers working freestyler would be interested to see the settings of someone that has??

Ta
Chris
bluestarprod
Has mastered Fixture Creator
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Post by bluestarprod »

Hi all, I can't seem to get my FCB1010 to talk to Freestyler - I've set the ini file up to look for the specified velocity and I've changed the FCB to send out notes - but I've allocated a note to a override button to test (a strobe) and can't get it to fire... Are there any walk through set ups anywhere?

Rich
bluestarprod

Post by bluestarprod »

Scratch that - I've now got the pedal working - noticed it was reacting but a very small reaction - so I removed the flash button I'd set up and now it talks... However - I want to be able to hold a pedal for override effects on the pedal board - will this be possible?

I.e. in mind I have scenes along the top - Intro/chase slow/chase fst/end for all songs... then along the bottom I want to set up override buttons for simple effects .. flash/strobe/blinders etc...

Does this sound possible?
Rich
bluestarprod

Post by bluestarprod »

I seem to be answering my own questions here - where before I mentioned that the problem was that the flash button I created was turning off too quickly for it to register as on. I chose from the Midi options menu to turn flash buttons to toggle. Then turned back on my Flash Button in overrides and hey presto! I can now use a single patch to hold a pedal and get the effect... When I release - the effect turns off...

Hope this helps someone else.
R
Dano16
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.3
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Post by Dano16 »

I may be a little behind the times, but I'm struggling to get my FCB1010 to work with Freestyler at all. My ultimate goal is to be able to start sequences from the foot controller. and blackout as well. It appears as though I have eveything hooked up correctly and have configured the controller with note on/off functions assigned to the pedals I want to use. I just can't get anything to respond at all. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Dano

Return to “General Midi Controllers”