These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

MIDI Control from Alesis DM8 [SOLVED]

Questions regarding general external control forum.
trindt
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

MIDI Control from Alesis DM8 [SOLVED]

Post by trindt »

I'm having on odd problem with MIDI from a DM8 drum module. I have a simple need - just want to flash a light (with a slow fade) when a particular drum trigger is hit. I've set up a simple sequence that turns a wash light on, and then fades out over a one second period. This sequence is set up to not loop and works fine when I execute it from the play button on the fast cue switcher. I've also got MIDI successfully coming from the DM8 to Freestyler, and the not being sent is assigned to start the cue I'm interested in. One last thing, I've set the trigger to always send a velocity of 127 no matter how hard the trigger is hit. I've verified that the MIDI notes with the proper velocity are sent each time, and that all looks good.

Now, here's the weird part. This all works, but only one time. So, I start Freestyler, hit the drum, and I get one flash/fade. After that, it never works again until I stop and restart Freestyler. Then, same thing again. One hit, one flash, and nothing again until a restart.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?
Last edited by trindt on April 4th, 2015, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trindt
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Re: MIDI Control from Alesis DM8

Post by trindt »

OK, figured this out on my own. Two things were not set up correctly. First, my DM8 drum module was not sending note-off commands after the note-on commands. Also, Freestyler had to have the "NoteOn - NoteOff" option turned on in the Options menu in the Options menu on the MIDI control setup page. Now all works well!

Return to “General Midi Controllers”