These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

General Interest in an Akai APC40 to Freestyler "Converter"

Questions regarding general external control forum.
gbestwick
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.6

General Interest in an Akai APC40 to Freestyler "Converter"

Post by gbestwick »

Hello everyone

I happen to have an Akai APC40 controller that I really wanted to use with freestyler.

Unfortunately, due to the bizare inability of FreeStyler to use channels with Midi it left me unable to use it. (And subsequently, sad enough about this to want to do something about it).

So, am about 75% done writing an APC40 to Freestyler TCP program. With the ability to map the keys to whatever you want, sliders/knobs map to "Fader" style controls.

My question is whether this is something that people may be interested enough in to warrant me cleaning it up for general use?

It is being written in Delphi, uses the MidiIO library, and requires Indy10.

If there is enough interest, I'll take on a few alpha testers to get things rolling.

Cheers
Gord

DJDaveSA
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 3.6
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Re: General Interest in an Akai APC40 to Freestyler "Convert

Post by DJDaveSA »

I am using an APC 40. I have mapped mine through virtual dj but then the lights don't respond when a button is pressed. I would be willing to test for you. I have also mapped a lot of virtual dj stuff to the apc 40 but would be great if i could use it on gigs where i am not the dj.
Djkill4goth
FreeStyler Version: 4.3.3

Post by Djkill4goth »

I know this is an old thread but i would be interested in a mapping for the APC40.
gbestwick

Post by gbestwick »

It's been a while since I've cracked open my source code on that. It actually works right now, it just is ugly and sin.

When I have time i'm going to get back on it in the near future.

Gord
AtlantaJoey
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Post by AtlantaJoey »

is there an actuall way to get the APCs to work??? even through bomes?
Nathanrs93
FreeStyler Version: None
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by Nathanrs93 »

Hi
It would be something I'm interested in as I've been looking at these on Ebay and they look good. I've also been looking at the APC20 version as well. Just waiting for some money to come through and then hopefully getting one, so I don't mind testing it out if your doing a general public released which I think would be ace.

:fs:
gbestwick

Post by gbestwick »

I'll revisit the source code in a bit.

Basically, I've worked on making it "mostly" functional, but haven't really worked on making it look good/decent.

For a long time there was no interest, so I lost my interest in trying to make it go. But, seeing as how there seems to be some love for it, I'll crack open the code again.

Cheers
Nathanrs93
FreeStyler Version: None
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by Nathanrs93 »

gbestwick wrote:I'll revisit the source code in a bit.

Basically, I've worked on making it "mostly" functional, but haven't really worked on making it look good/decent.

For a long time there was no interest, so I lost my interest in trying to make it go. But, seeing as how there seems to be some love for it, I'll crack open the code again.

Cheers
Nice, looking forward to seeing it finished
Djkill4goth
FreeStyler Version: 4.3.3

Post by Djkill4goth »

Has there been an success with the mapping for this? I have been able to map the apc40 to send out keyboard commands to freestyler but am having issues trying to get accurate feedback from freestyler to the apc40. I can get the lights to function how i want as far as color but getting them to change based on the signal coming back from freestyler has been difficult. I think this console would be amazing to use with freestyler.
djsvazquez
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9

Re: General Interest in an Akai APC40 to Freestyler "Converter"

Post by djsvazquez »

I am just adding my name to the petitioners here for APC40 support. This would be a great controller for fressetyler. Hopefully this doesn't fall on deaf ears. I'm sure it can be done. Fressetyler RULEZ!
RaucousSounds
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Post by RaucousSounds »

The APC40 would really be a comprehensive controller for Freestyler. 8 faders for subs with go, next, back, and knobs for speed. Master fader and speed. A whole page of override buttons with on/off lights. 8 more encoders for fixture control. A slew of other buttons... I'd be more than happy to test with my APC if this mapping ever gets completed.
michilson
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by michilson »

I'd be interested in a APC mini to freestyler link up. That would allow you to program LED colors of the buttons.

Please contact me if you'd interested in expanding this project to other Akai Products.
jwoodjr
FreeStyler Version: 3.3
Twitter: #djbigwood

Post by jwoodjr »

Count me in as well. I've got an APC Mini.
wondergy
FreeStyler Version: 3
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by wondergy »

This would be amazing. I have an APC40 that I was just struggling with making work with FS. Please count me in!
soundsinvision
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
Twitter: www.twitter.com/soundsinvision

Post by soundsinvision »

I've just plugged my mk1 APC40 into a Windows 10 laptop (all latest updates installed, the December release of Freestyler) and it's responding faster than a new M-Audio Oxygen 49! (the M-Audio keyboard is used at a residency, same build of FS but on Windows 7).

In the space of half an hour, I've mapped the override buttons to the top-left 30 buttons (in the same grid layout as the screen), the Scene Launch buttons to open the windows I use (Override buttons, Submaster, Sound2Light etc), the faders to Submaster Instensity, Play/Stop to be Master 100% / 0% respectively, all 16 rotaries to various fixture function (Colour, Gobo, Gobo Rotation etc), Clip Stop to be Submaster Run, and the 12 backlit buttons below the banks of rotaries to do Fixture Groups.

Certainly for the override buttons bit, the buttons I've mapped for 1-30 pickup whether a button is flash or toggle and the light on the button feeds back if a program is selected. And the ones I've mapped for Override tabs keeps the appropriate button lit (e.g. if you've selected tab 4, the button for tab 4 is lit). Nice touch.

The main snag is that some of the buttons below rotaries (and the 3 rows of buttons above the faders) are toggle buttons hard-coded into the controller. You need to use something like MIDI-OX to inspect the APC input, and manipulate it for Freestyler. See this post:
http://freestylersupport.com/fsforum/vi ... KAI#p11981
(you need to become a member to see the attachment)

Also, the rotaries aren't actually sending the correct value. That I need to resolve.

If I get the right combination which makes it usable in my scenario, and can extract the MIDI configuration, am happy to share.
Djtehno_86
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6

Post by Djtehno_86 »

Hi I want to buy an AKAI APC 40 mkII specifically to run a Freestyler DMX! But it is very expensive. Can someone answer me? Can I use it with Freestyler?

Return to “General Midi Controllers”