These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

[SOLVED](MIDI Issue) The day Rube Goldberg said "Enough!"...

Questions regarding general external control forum.
Snowcat
Has mastered Fixture Creator
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.1
I Use FreeStyler for: Theater
Twitter: twitter.com/

[SOLVED](MIDI Issue) The day Rube Goldberg said "Enough!"...

Post by Snowcat »

Hi all! :) Got a heads scratcher of an issue that I'd love some help with.

First, some background :-

For the last few years, I've been using a trio of programs to run the sound and lighting in a small 100-seater studio theatre.

Multiplay to create a stack of sound and lighting cues. That sends Note on/Note off MIDI messages via the free version of LoopBe into Freestyler. Which I use to trigger the "Toggle Sequence" commands and automate the lighting

This gives me 20 sequences that I can then call at will along with the audio cues. Making tech a one-man/3 button operation.

Unfortunately, Freestyler has developed a habit of not responding to the incoming MIDI messages after a handful of cues have been run. I have to close and restart Freestyler before it begins responding again.

I've confirmed the data is sent but the lighting doesn't change. After a little troubleshooting, I found that it was apparently receiving the MIDI with 0 velocity ("I'm looking at the note but I'm not pressing it! :P ").

I'd recently updated to Freestyler 3.5.4 so reverted to 3.5.2 as a precaution (The Theatre has been using 3.5.2 succesfully for a while now). That appears to have solved the 0 velocity, but 3.5.2 is now displaying the same basic problem :- not responding to MIDI commands after a handful of cues have successfully gone through. :?:

Everything working perfectly before the update to 3.5.4 and had been for quite a while. (Yes, I know... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" :roll: )

I currently have management, a current hire and 2 incoming plays breathing down my neck so any and all help is gratefully appreciated! :?

Win7 Enterprise Edition 32bit
Enttec DMX Pro

Thanks in anticipation. :)
Last edited by Snowcat on August 1st, 2014, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snowcat
Has mastered Fixture Creator
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.1
I Use FreeStyler for: Theater
Twitter: twitter.com/

Re: (MIDI Issue) The day Rube Goldberg said "Enough!"...

Post by Snowcat »

Whoops, I eventually figured out the problem but didn't update the thread. Sorry about that.

In the end, I found that Multiplay was only sending NoteOn messages. Meaning that everything would jam with all notes effectively being pressed at once. Changed the hirers cues to add NoteOff and everything came back to life.

Thanks!

Return to “General Midi Controllers”