These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Starting out with wireless DMX for simple lighting project

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
coachmattb
Knows how to turn Lights ON

Starting out with wireless DMX for simple lighting project

Post by coachmattb »

very much a first timer here and hoping some of you can point me in the right direction to get started on my very very simple wireless lighting project. I have been reading here and other sites with information related to dmx wireless lighting and software and have gotten a little overwhelmed with what's out there so would appreciated advice so as to avoid spending a lot of money early on equipment I do not truly need.

I am tasked with doing a scene (or show) which involve 4 (maybe 5), par can led light fixtures that will be spread out about 200 feet from each other. the scenes/shows involve triggering the lights to (independently of each other) use red, blue, green or white color at certain time intervals and for certain durations. as I am somewhat fond of reverse engineering, I have started by obtaining 4 inexpensive par led can lights along with a battery powered wireless (Donner 2.4 ghz) receiver for each of them. I am fond of my laptop so I will need to obtain software which will enable the programming of the lights so as to create my scenes/shows. Along with the software, a controller with a transmitter will be needed to take the programming from the laptop/software and store it on the controller which can then broadcast it to the my lights for the scene/show.

assuming I am correct with my assumptions, I would like advice on the software (yes, I am planning on Freestyler!) but also the connection from computer to the controller. there is a ton of stuff out there but I'm trying to keep it very simple.

Tia.
Matt

Rod_Horning
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Re: Starting out with wireless DMX for simple lighting project

Post by Rod_Horning »

You need an interface from your computer to the controller. Assuming you have Freestyler loaded you can see the interfaces supported by Freestyler by clicking on the top menu item Setup --> Freestyler setup. In the window that opens click on the down arrow in the white box in the upper right of the window (next to the box that is labeled Advanced.) You may also need to install a Windows driver for what ever interface you choose.
coachmattb

Post by coachmattb »

Rod_Horning wrote: November 25th, 2017, 2:09 am You need an interface from your computer to the controller. Assuming you have Freestyler loaded you can see the interfaces supported by Freestyler by clicking on the top menu item Setup --> Freestyler setup. In the window that opens click on the down arrow in the white box in the upper right of the window (next to the box that is labeled Advanced.) You may also need to install a Windows driver for what ever interface you choose.
thanks for your reply.

the Entec Open DMX USB looks to be a decent low cost starting point.

does the transmsitter antenna need to match the # number of pins on the DMX OUT of the controller?

Matt
Rod_Horning

Post by Rod_Horning »

It's easier if it does but you can buy or make a 3 pin to 5 pin adapter. The facility where I use Freestyler has a 5 pin feed. My Entec Pro has 3 pins. The adapter cable works perfectly.
coachmattb

Post by coachmattb »

Rod_Horning wrote: November 25th, 2017, 1:05 pm It's easier if it does but you can buy or make a 3 pin to 5 pin adapter. The facility where I use Freestyler has a 5 pin feed. My Entec Pro has 3 pins. The adapter cable works perfectly.
thanks.

I notice some of the controllers can actually store scenes/shows so that the laptop is not needed to run it. have you any experience with those types of controllers? Ideally, I'd like to not have to bring the laptop out to where the lighting show will be done (1 less thing to carry around).

btw, can you recommend a good transmitter antenna? I need to reach out to 250 feet (hopefully) with zero latency. my application is in a large open area/park.
Rod_Horning

Post by Rod_Horning »

I've read about but have no experience with controllers that can store scenes. The same for wireless systems. Sorry I can't provide recommendations for your questions. Hopefully someone else will read this thread and be able to provide input.

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”