These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Wireless DMX

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
Nathanrs93
FreeStyler Version: None
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Wireless DMX

Post by Nathanrs93 »

Hey,
I'm thinking of investing in some wireless dmx stuff and just wondered if there's any I should say away from. I'm hoping to cut down the useage of cables on my rig, with it being pretty big, so it means my setup time is cut in half. I was just wondering if anyone had some advice and information on wireless DMX etc.

Peace 8-)

spukemonkey
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.5
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Re: Wireless DMX

Post by spukemonkey »

I will be posting a guide on installing wireless dmx into your lights rough costs and list of things needed. :D
spud1511
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.7
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Re: Wireless DMX

Post by spud1511 »

Yes, but consider if your fixtures don't natively have wireless receivers then you will need an extra mains power socket for each receivers transformer. So in other words if your fixtures span across open room space or doorways it's great for losing cables and cutting out trip hazards, otherwise if they are nearby each other then the one slim DMX cable can become; 1 mains power splitter, one mains transformer, and one receiver.
That being said, they are excellent for moving heads and uplighting that need to be spaced apart around a room, or getting signal past doorways.

I currently use the ones (newer 'internal aerial' style of the generic made in China stuff) you see all over the Internet and they have been completely flawless for every room I have ever set them up in. I have seen people report problems with the older ones with the external 'bendy' aerial receivers breaking.

I started off with the known branded proprietary systems by chauvet, etc. but ended up switching as setting up the DMX timings on my computer that performed best with my fixtures made some occasional strange things happen with my lights, like uplights would strobe without reason, or a random moving head would stop moving. That all went away when I started using the generic ones, however counter-intuitive that seems!

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”