These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Question about American DJ RGBW4C LED controller [SOLVED]

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
bckeeping
Can now teach FS to others (Hopefully!)
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Question about American DJ RGBW4C LED controller [SOLVED]

Post by bckeeping »

Hi guys,

Sometimes I don't want to lug my full laptop around when I just want to use a few uplighters and so I am considering investing in a dedicated LED controller. One which is easy enough for others to use.

I am looking at the ADJRGBW4C, as it is able to control up to 8 or groups of fixtures with individual settings for each. However, I have been trying to find out a bit more about how the multi fixture part of this controller works with chases etc and even the manual doesn't seem to say.

I wonder if anyone on this excellent group has any experience of using one?

e.g. when you have fixtures on channels 1,5,9,13 and you have more than one selected :

1) What does "auto mode" actually do?
2) When the chases run, do they have all the fixtures the same colour, e.g. all blue then all orange, or is there a way to make them alternate so they are blue/orange, orange/blue
3) Likewise does the RGB fade option fade all the lights in sync, or can you make the fade spread out across the fixtures selected.

I can't seem to find this information anywhere. If you cant do these things, then there's not a lot of point being able to separately address the lights Wink

Any help much appreciated if anyone has one of these controllers.

buttza
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/@buttza

Re: Question about American DJ RGBW4C LED controller

Post by buttza »

Normally, You have to give the fixture an allocation number.

Eg. Fixture 1 will be Fixture 1 on the controller and occupy channels 1-8 on 8 Channel mode.

When you select fixture number 1 then the faders become the faders for each channel of that fixture.
1 to 8 faders become 1 to 8 Channels on that particular fixture while it is selected.

If you create groups of fixtures then the same setting will translate across all the selected fixtures in the group etc.
bckeeping
Can now teach FS to others (Hopefully!)
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Re: Question about American DJ RGBW4C LED controller

Post by bckeeping »

Hi Buttza,

Thanks for this and your useful response. I guess what I am asking for is in what way the settings are translated.

I think that I get the addressing and assignment of the fixtures on the controller. As I understand it each fixture can only be 4 channels and the ficture numbers of the controller are pre-set to channels 1,5,9 etc.

What I dont understand is the three queries in my original post. Once I have selected a number of fixtures and I press the "auto" button, what do they actually do?

Likewise, if I apply an RGB fade, do they all fade in sync, or does the fade spread out among the fixtures like a flowing rainbow? Can I make it do that (I believe you can on the chauvet obey 4)

With the chases, again is it smart enough to apply the chase to alternate fixtures, or do they all just change colour in sync?

And finally, when using s to l, do they all just show the same colour as they change, or can you make the fixtures change to seperate colours?

basically I am trying to decide between one of these or the obey 4. I like that these have more potential fixtures that can be independently controlled, but if it can't do the aboce, then I think i would go for the obey.

Do you have one of these, are you able to confirm the behaviour?
Any advice is warmly appreciated!

Kind regards
Ben

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”