These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Martin - Terminators

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
Nathanrs93
FreeStyler Version: None
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Martin - Terminators

Post by Nathanrs93 »

Hey,

When I tried to put a terminator on the end of my chain once which has some martin minimacs in, it sent them crazy and all over the place. Is this because they are inverted? I did find a box which I knew we had which inverts the signal correctly for martin stuff, I wonder if I put the signal through it then put the terminator on the end it will work correctly?

Thoughts? Anyone had this problem and how did you fix it?

/Nathan

Hambone
Band Member
FreeStyler Version: Beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Re: Martin - Terminators

Post by Hambone »

I used to work for a regional sound and lighting production company... our solution to the "Martin Problem" was to break out a screwdriver and soldering iron and re-wire the DMX connectors so that they were correct :) I'm not sure why they decided to go with a pin-3 hot configuration, it causes nothing but problems... if you do use an adapter to invert the mini's, there shouldn't be a problem, but keep in mind that if you're attaching the terminator to one of the mini's, you'll have to invert it too. Best bet (if it's your equipment) is to permanently fix the problem by rewiring the units :)
-----
HP Pavilion dv7-1130us Laptop (Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on 2 GHz AMD Turion X2, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HD, ATI Radeon HD3200 video) with an Enttec PRO interface
http://two-for-flinching.com
Jan_K
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)

Post by Jan_K »

Not to be a vice guy but if it is only pin 2 and 3 there is swapped then the termination don't mind.
It is just a resistor between pin 2 and 3 and the resistor don't care what is "+" and what is "-"

/Jan
Nathanrs93

Post by Nathanrs93 »

Hey,

I just thought it would be better to start using terminators in one sense due to the size of lighting rigs we are getting up to, so that was my idea behind using them. I like Hambone's idea of re-wiring them, it could be a good idea as it would make things easier than messing around with adapters/boxes.

I'll have a think about as I do know that the boss is on about getting DMX cable soon and throwing the XLR cables out the window, in regards to lighting. (Not throwing them out the window in that sense ;) use them for sound)

Thanks for replies guys.
Hambone
Band Member
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Post by Hambone »

Jan_K wrote:Not to be a vice guy but if it is only pin 2 and 3 there is swapped then the termination don't mind.
It is just a resistor between pin 2 and 3 and the resistor don't care what is "+" and what is "-"

/Jan
Whoops! You're right Jan. I was suffering a minor brain fart when I wrote that and was thinking that the resistor went across pins 1 & 2, not 2 & 3.

So Nathan, as Jan said, no need to worry about inverting the terminator :) I'd still rewire the fixtures to correct them though :)
-----
HP Pavilion dv7-1130us Laptop (Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on 2 GHz AMD Turion X2, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HD, ATI Radeon HD3200 video) with an Enttec PRO interface
http://two-for-flinching.com
Jan_K
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)

Post by Jan_K »

Just a short note on the rewiring them.

If others are to use fixtures then they know that they need an inverter or looks in the data sheet and figure out that.
They place the inverter and it fails because you have swapped the signals.

When you re-wire them make a big visible note that they are changed.

I have been out helping people where they have there own fixtures and then they rentet some additional fixtures.

There own was modified, the rented was not.
And no one remembered that they was modified and off course the rented ones was blamed.
The owner of the rented ones called me, as I was close to the location, to figure it out and as I was not famillar with the fixture I looked in the data sheet used the inverter.

So my advise MARK the fixtures so everyone can read that they are modified. ;)

/Jan
Nathanrs93

Post by Nathanrs93 »

Oh don't worry I'll make some sort of note for myself :lol: I will be sure to forget at some point and if we ever sell them it would be something to remember, as it could effect other people that think it's not been put right.

/Nathan

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”