These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Autodetection for lights of concert hall Topic is solved

Discuss everything regarding DMX interfaces in this forum.
SiPi3
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.3

Autodetection for lights of concert hall

Post by SiPi3 »

Hi!
I’m beginner about the DMX and I would like to get some help... So, I would like to make a lighting show for a band. We would like to use lights of concert hall with laptop(Freestyler and USB-DMX interface).
What we can do in case if we can’t get the necessary informations about the lights (types, number of channels, addresses)? Or they can’t give the exact information? If I make the control for the fixtures, later I can’t change them, I have to make the control again.
Can we detecting automatically the lights with any software?

Answers thanks in advance!

Jan_K
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: Beta
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: Autodetection for lights of concert hall

Post by Jan_K »

Hej

Fixtures are only listening on the DMX link and that means you don't get any response back via DMX.

So the answer is no Auto detection is not possible.

If they have a DMX controlled light then they also have a control unit for it and then you should be able to readout addresses from the control unit.

You also need to figure out how many channel each fixture uses.

/Jan
SiPi3

Post by SiPi3 »

Very very thanks! And is there any possibility for change the fixtures types, addresses and channels wheneas the sequences have been maded? For example I made all sequences at home and we change the dissimilar values at location.
Jan_K
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: Beta
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by Jan_K »

I can be done by patching the channels but believe me when I say you don't want to do that for a whole setup.

Still you also need to know how many channels each fixture are using before you can make the setup at home.

Some fixtures have more modes meaning, example mode1 uses 3 channel (RGB), mode 2 uses 5 (RGB dimmer and strobe) and so on.
If you don't have the right mode in you setup then the programming you make at home will probably not work and you can not patch your way out of that.

You need to get information of how they have configured all the fixtures so you can add the fixture corresponding to the same mode.

If you don't have addresses and the mode of the fixtures then you are in trouble.
It is not a task for beginners.

/Jan
SiPi3

Post by SiPi3 »

Thank you, these informations were very useful. I think we will look for another mode for this. Maybe we will buy own lights and use them with Freestyler.

Return to “DMX Interfaces”