These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

uDMX dongle problem Topic is solved

Discuss everything regarding DMX interfaces in this forum.
nightrider
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.2

uDMX dongle problem

Post by nightrider »

hi all,
a while ago I bought one of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DMX512-USB-t ... 417001eadf

I never got it working, so I bought another one (DMX king) which works fine. Now I need to get the uDMX one working cos my lights for some reason go haywire if Freestyler is sending out over 256ch. And uDMX is the only one that offers 92 or 128ch output.

So I've searched the net, and got the dongle responding to Freestyler (little green light flashes when its sending out). But my lights dont do anything. I have tried various different ones (not just dodgy chinese, I have brand name 100% working ones) but no luck.

Any hints?
Thanks!

spud1511
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.7
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

uDMX dongle problem

Post by spud1511 »

The instructions, including a manual copy of files after they are uncompressed, is all in the advert you linked. Normally these things are a case of following sequence it gives you carefully (such as copying file at time listed and not at end of installation sequence).

Although I use the dmxking ultradmx pro micro, and that has never had a problem with either freestyler, or a whole variety of lights I have used with it. And I normally run 5 moving heads, 10 scanners, 12 LED parcans, a pair of miracled's, a pair of big Martin barrel effects, and other all at the same time!

I would also point out though that dmxking provide a configuration utility (download from here http://dmxking.com/usbdmx/ultradmxmicro ) and once you select the virtual comport you are using the second tab allows you to select from some timing presets already created for you, and there is one there that works very well called something like 'maximum compatibility' or something like that you can send to the device that just seems to work with about anything and still keep a good 40Hz frame rate.

Also from experience, never use a usb extension cable on a usb-dmx controller, they seem to lose frame rate or worse have communication issues that can sometimes be intermittent (but you can have a massive dmx cable coming off other end with no problems though).
When all your fixtures/channels are being output from freestyler start with only one actual fixture plugged in. If this works fine then any further issues are with cabling and are usually caused by one of the following issues;
* Bad connection/dry joint in cable.
* microphone cable used in place of dmx cable (although you can sometimes get away with it if you only use a dozen or less fixtures).
* cables tangled or twisted around mains cables, or other sources of interference.
* cables coiled up trying to be neat nearby a mains cable (or mains cable is coiled even worse).
* lack of proper 120 ohm resistor at the end of run (last fixture) can cause a wired echo type thing which causes interference in the line.
* more than 36 or so fixtures in a single line without an isolator or amplifier between them.
* a bad fixture with a dry joint or forced connection.

Note. After the timing, is is nearly always cables.
nightrider
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.2

Re: uDMX dongle problem

Post by nightrider »

Hi.
I've been playing around with the DMXKing one today and have worked out from the DMX King config program (yes I have been using it to troubleshoot) that it works fine as it only outputs precisely 255 channels from the first (as in numerically) lights address. Ie, if it has 2 lights with dipswitches '3' and '112' it will go from the '3'. Anything over and it appears to bounce between no signal and the value (also shown by flickering cursor in dmxKing config). Interestingly, if I select all channels at 100%, it will happily broadcast all 512 channels constantly, no flickering at all.
I've swapped cables, lights, usb lead, etc. Its most definitely these lights. Especially seeing as the dmx table for the lights is opposite. (dmx address '1' is actually '255'. '239' is '17'.) But my CASA brand laser works fine on the DMX King, no response on the udmx. It also has a signal light on it, which is normally lit up if all is working. On the uDMX it flickers for a split second when I first plug it in, then its dead. I'm just wondering if the xlr plug on the udmx has the wires the wrong way around, seeing as the green light on it seems to respond to commands from Freestyler.
spud1511
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.7
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by spud1511 »

Out of interest what dmxking unit and what light fixtures are you using? I haven't heard of any that only do 255 channels, always been 512 so far as I knew of.
buttza
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/@buttza

Post by buttza »

DMX King Dongle should be ok.

Is the fixture an older light?
How old is your DMX King Dongle?
If USB I did have a problem with the USB connecter dry Joints fracturing but they offered to fix it even after the 1 year warranty. :) This is why I changed to ArtNet and eDMX-2 Interface. :)
djSupport
Hosts the Freestyler Forum and is an Admin!
FreeStyler Version: Forum la
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by djSupport »

Dmx king are good friends of ours here on the forum, if your on facebook hit them up on there and I'm sure they'll make sure your device is 110%
Heather Trott, You Babe! I Drive a Dacia Duster and Explore! Check it out
MusicSync
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.3
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Post by MusicSync »

I recommend below ArtNet to DMX interface and give up all the USB to DMX dongles.

http://hz.aliexpress.com/store/product/ ... 20451.html
mrstretch

Post by mrstretch »

just posted the solution to the udmx issue.. its because of drivers signature ... im on windows 8 and 10 . both worked.
Bikash Saha
FreeStyler Version: 3.4.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: no
Instagram: no

Post by Bikash Saha »

signal fail avery 60 second
Romford62
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.51
I Use FreeStyler for: Home Lighting Control

Post by Romford62 »

Good morning
I have a Lixada USB to DMX512 Interface how do I know if a signal is being sent from it?
I have installed drivers from the supplied CD device manager is happy so should LED flash or change colour I've tried to connect to a Chinese 36 Par hopefully using the correct settings from the enclosed manual but nothing happens.
HELP!!
Regards
Nigel

Return to “DMX Interfaces”