These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

How to dissect a scan light's functions?

Fixture File Help & Support, This is not a Request forum we are here to help you not work for you... If you do need a fixture and don't wish to make one yourself or learn then go here : http://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/f ... on_service
Forum rules
This forum is designed for you to get HELP with building fixtures, Please make an attempt if you get stuck YOU must upload your partial fixture file (as an exported fixture file) so we can point you in the right direction if you don't do this you won't LEARN and if you don't learn you will may never be able to get the fixtures you require. It is Very hard to make fixtures for people when we don't have the same light at hand to test it with after all having the light in front of you makes programing so much easier! That's why we will help but rarely build any fixtures for you. You Alone are the best person to build your fixtures if you need help ask if you want it building for you Don't....
or alternativaly if your willing to pay for fixtures to be created then go here : http://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/f ... on_service

You can Upload your fixtures as attachments to your posts so there is no need to supply email details Please post any fixtures in the download forum if you require help please contact an Admin/Moderator.
willowhaus
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 2
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

How to dissect a scan light's functions?

Post by willowhaus »

Hi all - sorry for the complete n00b post, but here's the situation: I recently acquired some old Omniscan HQI 150 moving lights. I have searched high & low for manuals etc. but they just don't seem to be out there. All I can find are some listings with very basic technical specs:

http://stageandtheaterlighting.com/inde ... cts_id=298
http://www.stagelightingstore.com/OmniS ... istem-W345

I see that one other user posted here looking for a device, but didn't apparently get any response:

viewtopic.php?t=3128

Last night I pulled down a generic 6-channel fixture & started tinkering - I was able to get responses on 5 channels so far:

ch.1 - nothing
ch.2 - low seems to send it into a moving, color-change mode; higher settings seem to just select a color.
ch.3 - switches gobo settings, there are 18
ch.4 - controls mirror pan
ch.5 - controls mirror tilt

I started filling in stuff in Fixture Creator, but I really need to read up a bit more on how that works. Still, I managed to fill in a lot of stuff.

What I'm looking for, at this point, are any tips on dissecting control for a light that you know little or nothing about? Is there any sort of standard ( :lol: ) for programming lights like these? Do the channels sometimes share functions (thinking of ch.2, for instance, which seems to do double duty)? Would it make sense to throw a bigger generic device at it & see if there's anything I'm missing? (Still don't understand why ch.1 just doesn't seem to do anything...)

Thanks! Hopefully this isn't too vague to be useful, and if I actually get a reasonable device out of this I'll be sure to share. :)

MAAC
Just started using FS

Re: How to dissect a scan light's functions?

Post by MAAC »

Ch 1 could be channel 0 depends on the dip-switch setting. Some fixtures add 1 channel to the dip setting so with all dips off you are in fact at start channel 1. Try increasing the Dmx start address dips value by one, and test if the slider functions move one slider forward. 2 becomes 3 3 becomes 4 and so on.

Lamp on / off / reset perhaps ?
Dimmer / shutter ?
Mode auto / Dmx / Music ?
Speed for gobo rotation ?
Faulty unit ?

You must try every 255 value on that channel and wait a few (3-4) seconds in order to see changes. Reset values usually need more time like 10 sec.

Return to “FreeStyler Fixture Files - Help & Support”