These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Noobie needs help

Fixture File Help & Support, This is not a Request forum we are here to help you not work for you... If you do need a fixture and don't wish to make one yourself or learn then go here : http://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/f ... on_service
Forum rules
This forum is designed for you to get HELP with building fixtures, Please make an attempt if you get stuck YOU must upload your partial fixture file (as an exported fixture file) so we can point you in the right direction if you don't do this you won't LEARN and if you don't learn you will may never be able to get the fixtures you require. It is Very hard to make fixtures for people when we don't have the same light at hand to test it with after all having the light in front of you makes programing so much easier! That's why we will help but rarely build any fixtures for you. You Alone are the best person to build your fixtures if you need help ask if you want it building for you Don't....
or alternativaly if your willing to pay for fixtures to be created then go here : http://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/f ... on_service

You can Upload your fixtures as attachments to your posts so there is no need to supply email details Please post any fixtures in the download forum if you require help please contact an Admin/Moderator.
DRAS
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.4.6
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Noobie needs help

Post by DRAS »

Hey all i have just started using DMX on the computer, i thought i would start with something simple...
So i thought i would see how i went with my Par64 LED Cans... :roll:
Yeah its not working out to well, there are some things with the lights i just dont understand.
I just can not work out what to put where in Fixture creator..

Yeah i am just lost, have not done this sort of setup before
any help would be much appreciated
Dave

spud1511
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.7

Re: Noobie needs help

Post by spud1511 »

Hi dras,
Looks like you got most of the way there. So well done so far.

On the channel description page fill in channels 6 & 7 with titles 'fade speed' and 'mode' with a default value of 0 on each channel, and a locate value of 255 on the first 5 channels (not 6 or7), this means if you click the locate button in freestyler the light will flash fast it's brightest white colour to help you locate it.

Then in the macros you are just creating little buttons to represent the mode functions of the light.
Example first function = dmx mode (so channels 1-6 listen to freestyler), simply click 'add' to create a new line, enter value 0 under the column for channel 7 and then choose a picture for dmx mode (click in picture column and then on a picture on the right - you can use the search box to help find one suitable).

Then repeat on a new line with a channel 7 value between 30-149 (let's say a number in middle like 65) and a picture for 'auto mode'... and so on.

And once you have one for all your modes you can put a new line with a 'blank' picture (as a spacer) with no numbers under any column, and then create a slow, medium and fast picture as a speed shortcut - putting a slow medium and fast number under the column for channel 6 this time, which can be any value you deem is a good value for slow medium and fast respectively.

Hope this helps and good luck.
DRAS

Post by DRAS »

Thanks spud1511, it has helped a lot.
But i think i have done something wrong or i am not using freestyler correctly
I have set it up like this, and saved.

i dont know if its the program or the lights himself, it keeps going in to sound mode if i use address 1, i can get color functions if i address it as 2, eg: lite address is 002 and program set at start address at 2, now by rights if i add another light it should be 8, but all sorts of things happen LOL ok its done my head in for now, so i am going to walk away from it for a while, just let me know if i have set that up ok
thinks
DRAS

Post by DRAS »

I did update FreeStyler and got the X2, looks to be working ok now.... going to play with this for a while, just with 2 cans so i can get the swing of it... my goal is to set my lights up and edit them up to music, is that possible with this? so i have a audio/video track and i can have its all sorted out, all lined up and have it all play together?
spud1511
FS is my life

Post by spud1511 »

DRAS wrote: i dont know if its the program or the lights himself, it keeps going in to sound mode if i use address 1, i can get color functions if i address it as 2, eg: lite address is 002 and program set at start address at 2, now by rights if i add another light it should be 8, but all sorts of things happen LOL ok its done my head in for now, so i am going to walk away from it for a while, just let me know if i have set that up ok
thinks
These lights are 7 channels, that means your first light will be address 001, but will use up to 007, so the first channel available for your second light will be 008. If you look closely in the add/remove fixtures window in freestyler you can see the start address listed by the light, and this can be useful to use as a quick reference when you have more lights attached.
spud1511
FS is my life

Post by spud1511 »

DRAS wrote:I did update FreeStyler and got the X2, looks to be working ok now.... going to play with this for a while, just with 2 cans so i can get the swing of it... my goal is to set my lights up and edit them up to music, is that possible with this? so i have a audio/video track and i can have its all sorted out, all lined up and have it all play together?
As long as you are using audio/video software capable of sending midi commands you can pretty much do anything and use midi commands embedded in the tracks playing to send a trigger for 'cue1' on verse 1, strobe at a key point, wash all colours together at a notable point, or anything else you can think of. Only limitation being that freestyler doesn't listen to the midi clock for bpm info.

I personally use the Virtual DJ software and plugin as this goes a step further and sends the beat grid as well as cues, so freestyler knows to react on beat to the tracks bpm and follows it even if I change the playback speed mid track! (And since I do video mixing it does that too!).
DRAS

Post by DRAS »

Sweet, yeah i use Virtual DJ myself, but have not gone into the plugins and stuff, i will get a list of music thats requested, and do my edits up in to maybe 30 to 60 min lots, using audio and video editing software, then i have maybe 4 to 6 tracks to play that are pre sorted, i have been using simple DMX controls, for lights, but a lot of the time i just run it in auto sound activated, and this is ok, but yeah i would like to do more, i just thought while i was doing the edit on the audio and video it would be so good to edit in the light scenes and speeds for all the lights, then each 30 to 60 min track have the audio, video, and lighting all done and i just have to press play LOL i know i am lazy, but i also do this on my own so after setting up 20 to 30 lights, and all the audio gear, i just want to sit back and chill for 3 to 5 hours till its time to pack it all up again.
spud1511
FS is my life

Post by spud1511 »

Here's a link to VDJ plugin (need to login to download) http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/15834/freestyler.html

If you put in a VDJ cue point to trigger cues in freestyler it stays in the virtual DJ database and automatically loads it next time you play the track so you have the benefit of doing nothing.

You can edit midi motes into the track in other software too but I have no real experience with that. Maybe someone else here might have a good link they could post.

Return to “FreeStyler Fixture Files - Help & Support”