These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

LED RGBW Flickering problem

Fixture File Help & Support, This is not a Request forum we are here to help you not work for you... If you do need a fixture and don't wish to make one yourself or learn then go here : http://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/f ... on_service
Forum rules
This forum is designed for you to get HELP with building fixtures, Please make an attempt if you get stuck YOU must upload your partial fixture file (as an exported fixture file) so we can point you in the right direction if you don't do this you won't LEARN and if you don't learn you will may never be able to get the fixtures you require. It is Very hard to make fixtures for people when we don't have the same light at hand to test it with after all having the light in front of you makes programing so much easier! That's why we will help but rarely build any fixtures for you. You Alone are the best person to build your fixtures if you need help ask if you want it building for you Don't....
or alternativaly if your willing to pay for fixtures to be created then go here : http://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/f ... on_service

You can Upload your fixtures as attachments to your posts so there is no need to supply email details Please post any fixtures in the download forum if you require help please contact an Admin/Moderator.
chrisdisco
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.5
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

LED RGBW Flickering problem

Post by chrisdisco »

Hi Everyone
I'm still quite new to freestyler, so I'm expecting I have done something totally stupid in the setup of these fixtures.

I have basically created a new fixture with the channels set in the manual. These are:

Brightness - CH1
Red Brightness - CH2
Green Brightness - CH3
Blue Brightness - CH4
White Brightness - CH5
Strobe - CH6
Colour Change - CH7
Speed - CH8
White Colour - CH9

I have setup the fixture as shown in the attached picture. I guess I have done something wrong because as soon as I open freestyler, the light does some strange flickering. I have tried a different light to make sure it wasn't a hardware problem, but that one does the same.

Can someone help me please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spud1511
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.7

Re: LED RGBW Flickering problem

Post by spud1511 »

First and most obvious thing is the lack of a maximum intensity value (eg min=0, max=255).

On the channel description tab you will need to enter a name and default value for each channel. I suggest zero for everything as 'default', and 255 for intensity+red+green+blue+white for 'locate' - 0 for others on locate.

Otherwise if you dont fill these in they will default to 127 (50%) everything, which means as soon as your light connects to freestyler it will default to 50% strobe, 50% brightness, whatever preset colour chase is at 50%, running that chase as 50% speed. Which could possibly be the oddball flashing and behaviour you describe.
chrisdisco

Post by chrisdisco »

Sorry, I fogot to post the second screenshot of the channels. Does this look correct?

The problem is a bit strange as in its almost a random flickering. If I set the light to 50% red, it might start flickering 100% green for a split second, then yellow at 100%, then nothing for a few seconds then white 100%. It seems totally random.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spud1511
FS is my life

Post by spud1511 »

You still have a lot of missing values on fixture file, such as minimums and maximums, values for high/med/low strobe, etc.

Although from how you just described it it sounds like it might not be the fixture file causing the issues.

If you set the light in freestyler by selecting it and using the pop up panel in the top right to all zero values does it still flicker?

If it still flickers this would indicate an issue with your hardware. Most likely a timing setting, or interference with the dmx signal.
chrisdisco

Post by chrisdisco »

Ok, so I have added further detail to the fixture as pictured. I have also tried using a terminator with the fixture which made things worse. I would like to think that it isn't the fixtures as they are all new.

Does anyone else have any RGBW Slim PAR Cans?
Jan_K
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: Beta
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by Jan_K »

Hej

I don't know if this is the problem but it can be that the fixture are updated to fast.

Under Setup, where you select the usb - dmx inferface there are a advanced button.
In there you can set the refresh rate of the DMX signal.

I think you shall try to increase this time.

/Jan
spud1511
FS is my life

Post by spud1511 »

What dmx interface are you using?
chrisdisco

Post by chrisdisco »

Hi Everyone
Thanks for your replies. I did try changing the refresh rate to the highest and lowest but this didn't make and difference. I also tried changing the port settings in windows but I was really clutching at straws with that.

I'm using a Enttec open controller which I now believe to be the issue. I have tried a different piece of DMX software to which the result was the same. With that in mind, I tried a different computer just in case, but the issue was still there.

I then proceeded to googled the issue to which I found the following on the Enttec website:
With the Open DMX USB the DMX signal is generated by the PC, this means that some parameters (Break length, MaB length, inter-byte time) of the DMX signal can vary from frame to frame. These variations are are perfectly legal under the DMX512 protocol. Unfortunately some DMX devices do not like these timing variations and display strange behaviour. There is no real fix for this, the only thing you can try is adjust the frame rate if the PC software has that setting. The DMX USB Pro has an on-board processor that generates the DMX signal independently of the PC.
So I think a new controller is the only way forward. Does anyone have any recommendations of a good controller? I don't want to spend mega money but I do realise that you get what you pay for.

Chris
spud1511
FS is my life

Post by spud1511 »

I have the 'dmxking ultradmx micro'
It is relatively cheap, very portable and compact and the configuration utility (free download) allows you to update firmware, and change the timing settings with some good presets such as "compatibility" preset that seems to work with anything I ever tried it on. Processor and buffering is built in (no dependency on cpu), and dmxking seem to come very highly recommended on these forums (and others).

Return to “FreeStyler Fixture Files - Help & Support”