These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Color wheel behaviour

Fixture File Help & Support, This is not a Request forum we are here to help you not work for you... If you do need a fixture and don't wish to make one yourself or learn then go here : http://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/f ... on_service
Forum rules
This forum is designed for you to get HELP with building fixtures, Please make an attempt if you get stuck YOU must upload your partial fixture file (as an exported fixture file) so we can point you in the right direction if you don't do this you won't LEARN and if you don't learn you will may never be able to get the fixtures you require. It is Very hard to make fixtures for people when we don't have the same light at hand to test it with after all having the light in front of you makes programing so much easier! That's why we will help but rarely build any fixtures for you. You Alone are the best person to build your fixtures if you need help ask if you want it building for you Don't....
or alternativaly if your willing to pay for fixtures to be created then go here : http://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/f ... on_service

You can Upload your fixtures as attachments to your posts so there is no need to supply email details Please post any fixtures in the download forum if you require help please contact an Admin/Moderator.
Civette
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.2

Color wheel behaviour

Post by Civette »

Hi,

I'm currently learning FS and testing a Showtec indigo 150. In itself it is running fine but I have a little issue.

I made a sequence with the color wheel. There are 10 colors and sequence goes from 1 to 10 again and again and again.

Issue is that after step 10 it comes back to step one but wheel instead of going one color further ( back to one thus), comes back 9 colors reverse. Result is the same but you see all colors going back.

I bet the issue is the fixture. Would you have an idea or a piece of advice ?

Thank you,

Hambone
Band Member
FreeStyler Version: Beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Re: Color wheel behaviour

Post by Hambone »

It's most likely the fixture - most fixtures that have a color wheel will exhibit this behavior, as it has no way to tell that you want to "wrap around" strictly based on the DMX value you send. You might want to double-check your sequence and make sure the steps are set to snap instead of fade - it's possible that that could fix it (i.e. if you're fading from DMX 255 in step 10 to DMX 0 in step 1, the wheel will spin backward), but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Another alternative would be to use the rainbow effect in the fixture instead. If you're running it in 12-channel (advanced) mode, set channel 6 to a value between 150-255 and the color wheel will rotate continuously. The higher the number, the faster it spins. If you're running in 9-channel (basic) mode, set channel 3 to a value between 150-255 for the same effect. The beauty of this is that you now have the cycle effect you're looking for, and only need a one-step sequence to achieve it :)

Hope that helps!
-----
HP Pavilion dv7-1130us Laptop (Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on 2 GHz AMD Turion X2, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HD, ATI Radeon HD3200 video) with an Enttec PRO interface
http://two-for-flinching.com
Civette

Post by Civette »

Rainbow might be a quite good workaround. I'll test it

I also suspected the fixture. Ideally device should make a "lazy" calculation : what is the smaller and fastest rotation to do in order to have the selected fixture ? Easy to imagine, harder to implement.
Kings
Commited FS Forum helper
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by Kings »

I guess is that the colour wheel will only ever turn 360 degrees. Whatever drives it has a limited degree of movement and wont allow it to spin continuously. That's why it will always reverse back through all the colours to get to the first one. I have the same problem with my Dynamos. My advice is to create a sequence like this (say the colour wheel has 5 colours): c1 c2 c3 c4 c5 c4 c3 c2...so that you never see the wheel scroll through more than one colour.
Civette

Post by Civette »

Hi Kings,

Actually color wheel has a 360° of liberty as the "rainbow" effect makes it turn clockwise endlessly, without coming back.

Thank you,
Kings
Commited FS Forum helper
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by Kings »

Ahh..so it is just being 'lazy'!

Return to “FreeStyler Fixture Files - Help & Support”