These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

A better Freestyler for nightclub

Discuss suggestions here for the FreeStyler program then request them via the Bug Tracker
Forum rules
FreeStyler is made by Rapheal Wellekens there is no other person developing the software so please be aware that adding new features
and changing current ones may require a lot of work. This is a place to discuss ideas, please make requests via the feature request option on the BUG TRACKER
Modlight
Just started using FS
FreeStyler Version: 3.4.8
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

A better Freestyler for nightclub

Post by Modlight »

Hi everyone

I'm using Freestyler for a few years, and also in a nightclub, the 3rd nightclub of France (elected by a vote in DjMag). That works great, but there are some details that could be modified, to have a very great tool for club lighting.

Sequences restitution :
The Submaster windows should have a function to assign each sequence with a keyboard shortcut or a midi value, not only the four buttons of each column.

Overrides buttons
A very good tool but there are not enough assignable buttons, of course we can add more pages, but the shortcuts assignment (keyboard, midi ...) is the same as the first page. We should be able to assign each button independently.

Keyboard shortcuts, MIDI control
For a clearer view of keyboard shortcuts or midi control assignment, and an easier programming, we should change the actual window of keyboard and MIDI control, to a simple right click, for all functions that can be controled by keyboard or MIDI.

PAN/TILT programming
It was cool to have a FX window to programm especially more complex sequences, but I think that this tool is not enough complete. For example, it could be great to have a control of the "distribute evenly" tool, with a dephasing fader.
But the most appreciated thing would be to have directly a bezier window, included in the FX one, for programming great shapes. However, that implies, if we want a high quality restitution of PAN and TILT movements, to not more have sequences cut out in steps, and differentiate movement sequences from the others (approximatly the same operation mode as Martin Lightjockey).

Thanks for reading, if something is possible, do not hesitate :mrgreen: I'm waiting for "Freestyler X2 Nightclub Edition" :lol:

:fs:

Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9

Re: A better Freestyler for nightclub

Post by Spirit »

hi

i'm a beta tester for the last 3 years and there have been allot of improvement.
i have used a couple of other softwares and Freestyler is the Best freeware DMX software i used.
and i have also used a couple of other real lightning desk, Avolight, Shamsys, grandMA, jens.
they all have there weak part and good part so there is no Perfect lighting desk.
Sequences restitution :
The Submaster windows should have a function to assign each sequence with a keyboard shortcut or a midi value, not only the four buttons of each column.
never seen this feature, only on MartinLJ and i think its the most worst software i ever seen.
most real lighting desk work the same as freestyler.
but there is a workaround for freestyler on Midi.
Overrides buttons
A very good tool but there are not enough assignable buttons, of course we can add more pages, but the shortcuts assignment (keyboard, midi ...) is the same as the first page. We should be able to assign each button independently.
you can use the touchscreen mode 2 to have all 180 override buttons on a screen (you need a 22" screen otherwise it doesn not fit) https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lt89pc8o42bb ... 1.png?dl=0
and theres a Midi workaround.

PAN/TILT programming
It was cool to have a FX window to programm especially more complex sequences, but I think that this tool is not enough complete. For example, it could be great to have a control of the "distribute evenly" tool, with a dephasing fader.
But the most appreciated thing would be to have directly a bezier window, included in the FX one, for programming great shapes. However, that implies, if we want a high quality restitution of PAN and TILT movements, to not more have sequences cut out in steps, and differentiate movement sequences from the others (approximatly the same operation mode as Martin Lightjockey).
i do agree but many poeple have ask this and there is allready a feature request on the bug tracker
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
Modlight
Just started using FS
FreeStyler Version: 3.4.8

Post by Modlight »

Thank you for your answer and for details . ;)
Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9

Post by Spirit »

hi,

can you be a bit more precise , what kind of information whould you like to have.

/spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
djSupport
Hosts the Freestyler Forum and is an Admin!
FreeStyler Version: Forum la
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by djSupport »

That was SPAM Spirit, be careful with people who post links that are formatted with a lot of effort like FreeStyler Support rather than http://www.freestylersupport.com, ultimately if in doubt give me a shout when I looked into his profile in admin section his email was a girls name that was completely different to his username!
Heather Trott, You Babe! I Drive a Dacia Duster and Explore! Check it out
Blockparty
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.5
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by Blockparty »

Hey Modlight!

The suggestions you have are almost the same I ever wanted!
I'm running a mobile DJ business and I really put value in my light shows. But the problem as a DJ is, that you must assign everything very quick (with a press of a button) but Freestyler isn't made for this.

The biggest feature for me would also be: assigning Submasters with one button hit. This would save years of time during the set and you could pack more sequences together. I can't do much with my fixtures, because I can only trigger 20 different sequences.
And I would like to have 4 moving macros, 2-3 color and 2-3 gobo patterns (all as sequences) and then the pars, different shows.. but I can't do it. I need to limit myself to 20 seqs and this is not enough for a good lightshow :(

It would be relatively easy to implement this feature and It's a shame nobody would do it. But Freestyler is free software, so you can't complain ^^

Also the Midi-programming is not that good, I can't start sequences with multiple buttons - but I would need to, its a shame :(

Peace,
Blockparty
Mobile DJ Germany

www.blockparty.dj

Return to “Ideas and Remarks”