These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Frustrations regarding triggering cues...playback woes!

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
barrypearce
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.3
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Frustrations regarding triggering cues...playback woes!

Post by barrypearce »

Hi folks,

Im new to freestyler but have spent the last week getting to grips and programming up over 250 cues across 20 sub-masters. Now it comes to putting a show together....and frustration at a number of issues which didnt show up in my initial testing (before I committed lots of hours of setup). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Where I am at...
Its a small band setup. I have 2 front wash pars (stairville), and a back truss with 4 tri-ledwash and 4 moving heads. My fixtures are up and running, as they are in Magic 3D. Ive corrected fixtures for the ADJ Mega TRIPAR Profile Plus and ADJ Inno Pocket Spot and added fixtures in both for Stairville Min Stage PAR RGBA. In accordance with the best advice regarding sub-master/cue practice I built up nearly 260 "elements" as separate cues and have them all loaded into the 20 sub-masters....Everything runs great from the sub-masters (well if you are careful - see (1) below).

Frustration and possibly bugs are getting in my way of creating a show....if you can help with any of these please!

Ill list their impact on me as well..

1. [Annoyance] When double-clicking on a cue in the sub-masters to run it. the settings "Reverse","Random","Restore values", "React to sound" and "React to manual/tap-sync", "fades" are NOT copied over. The result is that should tap-sync be on then the cue responds to it despite the fact it shouldnt have.

2. [Annoyance] When tap-sync is on cues marked as once-only are re-triggered by the tap-sync if "react to" is true. This could be intended behaviour but as 1 doesnt copy over the settings then this becomes and issue. But why does it re-trigger it?

3. [Blocker] I want to be able to cue up several sub-master settings and then hit "GO" with all these cues executed together - how?

One way I considered achieving 3 is to make buttons of these amalgamated scenes...which caused a number of other issues:

4. [Blocker] Buttons replace ALL the whole fast cue switcher. What I really want is just those bits Ive put cues IN to change. So if I ave a cue running a moving head and then I hit a button to change some front & back washes and gobo I dont want it to blat whats already running - I can do this with the subs - but not execute them all at the same time.

5. When I do use a button the cues are not executed simultaneously but in some random pattern where one or to go first and then several simultaneously. Very odd - but it means the scene does not change instantly but cascades. Now obviously I could program a single cue to do all this - but then doesnt that defeat the whole sub-master setup in the first place?

5. [SERIOUS BLOCKER] I have a cue which includes the four moving heads with patterns (bezier shape enabled) for the movements. If start this via the sub-master it works perfectly. If this cue is triggered by a button the pattern attached to the moving head does not execute. If I stop it in the fast switcher and then restart it it works. Go figure.

6. [Blocker] Pressing the button a second time does some odd stuff - it appears to run stuff again...except the red stop buttons appear but nothing actually runs..

7. [SERIOUS] Tap sync - Just broken. The speed of the tap is not maintained - it slows down immediately.

8. [SERIOUS] A 2s sequence with 1 step fade 1000, speed 1000. Seems to take 3secs to execute. Even though it says the sequence time is 2s. eh?

9. [Annoyance] Once tap-sync or manual is set it doesnt seem possible to revert it...???

Timed cue firing is broken - this appears to have several issues:

10. [SERIOUS] Anything scheduled for 00:00:00 using elapsed time never fires.

11. [SERIOUS] Multiple cues scheduled for the same time result in on the bottom-most in the list firing.

12. [SERIOUS BLOCKER] Sequences with multiple steps are not executed when activated by cuelist buttons. I have a sequence consisting of a head move, a pause, followed by a fade out. The move is executed and the fast cue switcher says the step its at is 2:3 but never gets any further. If I restart it from the fast cue switcher it works.

Now I do realise that being new I may be missing some things which mean one or more of these could be resolved! Like I said - all help really appreciated. Ive a got show I need to have ready in the next couple of weeks on the new rig!

Cheers
Barry
Last edited by barrypearce on January 3rd, 2017, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

barrypearce

Re: Frustrations regarding triggering cues...playback woes!

Post by barrypearce »

Also...

13. When using cuelist buttons to load a sequence there is no option to load the cues AND reset the timer.

14. When cuelists are timecode based only the LAST cue for any time appears to be executed.
Jan_K
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: Beta
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by Jan_K »

Hej Barry

I think you should try to place this in the bug tracker and there by see if you can get a direct contact to Raphael.
You have many issues which he probably is the only one who can answer.

/Jan
barrypearce

Post by barrypearce »

Thx. I shall. Freestyler is pretty good apart from these niggles - if these were all sorted either by fixing them or someone putting me on the right track, then life would be peachy.
barrypearce

Post by barrypearce »

Some of these are now logged on the issue tracker:

1. 0001375
2. 0001377
3. put into the idea section (which would solve 4)
5. 0001374 er...two 5s. How quaint!....well the first one is now under
5. 0001376 This is an issue with any multi-step sequence it seems. There are issues.
6.0001376 This appears to be related to issues with mutli-step sequences - logged under 0001376.
7. Will look at again later.
8. 0001380
9. Right-click to disable. Not very intuitive and I only found out because of the tooltips. This isnt great for a touch screen...
10. Will look at again later.
11. Will look at again later.
12. 0001376 Same problem as 5 no 2...
13. Will look at again later.
14. Will look at again later.
barrypearce

Post by barrypearce »

3 & 4 - feature request added 0001382

Return to “FreeStyler Software”