These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Sub-fixture devices

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
Starliter
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.3
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Sub-fixture devices

Post by Starliter »

Does anyone have any ideas how it might be possible to create sequences with sub-fixtures such as a dimmer pack with 4 channels and a master dimmer ?
I am trying to work out if there is a way to get Freestyler to do something like a chase or sine pattern across the sub-fixtures on a single unit using the FX generator.
Many other products feature such an option for a single unit with sub channels but unless I am missing something I cannot find this option anywhere.
If it does not exist is there any chance it can be considered as a feature for future releases?

Rod_Horning
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Re: Sub-fixture devices

Post by Rod_Horning »

I may not understand your question so if my answer does not address your situation I apologize.

I use Elation DP-DMX-20L dimmer packs. These packs have 4 circuits. The pack can be configured so that
(a) all four circuits react to 1 DMX address,
(b) circuits 1 and 2 react to one DMX address and circuits 3 and 4 react to the next higher DMX address, or
(c) each circuit reacts to a different (but adjacent) DMX address.

Configuring as (c) select the 4 fixtures and use FX to generate your desired sequence.
Put the sequence in a CUE with the CUE set to repeat the sequence and them put the CUE in a submaster.
The submaster master intensity should then control the intensity (remember the submaster intensity is proportional, ie. if the sequence intensity max is 60% then that max is reached when the submaster is at 100%.

Hope this helps.
Rod_Horning

Post by Rod_Horning »

Thought I should clarify. As I stated, I configure my DP-DMX-20L so that each circuit reacts to a different channel. HOWEVER, in the Fixture Creator, the dimmer is configured with only ONE channel. This means that 4 fixtures must be added, one for each channel.
Starliter
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.3
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by Starliter »

I think I get what you mean but it doesnt quite match up with what I tried to ask, probably as I too was ambiguous. I have a 4 way dimmer pack with 6 channels (1-4 are the individual channels, 5 is a program mode and 6 is the master intensity). What I am trying to do is to see if there is a method that I can implement the FX generator to create a chase across the 4 heads using channels 1-4 only, the master intensity being used to detemine separately how bright the whole chase will be.
My suspicion is that I will need to create 5 virtual fixtures to emulate the physical device, using 4 of these virtual single channel dimmer items for the chase, the last single one also as a single channel dimmer which in effect then controls the overall level of the previous four. Is that how you are envisioning the solution?
What I was hoping is that someone might have a way to do this as a single fixture much like can be done in other products like LightJockey, ADJ MyDMX, Cuelux etc although I want to retain Freestyler as I have 12 wifi connected universes to control with such dimmer packs and these all are connected to half a dozen Enttec DMX Pro Mk II dongles which serve very nicely for all manner of other less complex architectural lighting performances.
Rod_Horning

Post by Rod_Horning »

Based on my understanding of the FX generator I believe you are correct about the 5 virtual fixtures to emulate the physical device.

You could probably do it with one device if you want to endure the pain of creating the sequence yourself - sounds like more work than its worth.

Hope it works out for you.
Jan_K
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: Beta
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by Jan_K »

You are right.
FX will only handle one dimmer channel / fixture as you only can define on dimmer channel / fixture.

Your fixture is a bit more complex than usual.

You will need to place a basic fixture covering all 6 channels (space holder) and then you have to place 4 one channel dimmer fixtures on the same channels as the sub dimmer.

You then select the 4 dimmer fixture and use them in FX.
It is not a major task to do but it is a bit complex to add the fixtures

And using FX on is straight forward

I am a bit curious. Can you please link to data sheet for this fixture.

/Jan
Jan_K
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: Beta
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by Jan_K »

Return to “FreeStyler Software”