These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Midi fader as base value for sequence

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
dssound
Knows how to turn Lights ON
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Midi fader as base value for sequence

Post by dssound »

Hi all,
I am mainly a sound guy - running lights is my second job for smaller gigs where we do not want to invest in a second light operator person. This means I run the lights in parallel to mixing the sound for small live gigs. I found Freestyler to do a great job here,because I can pre-program most of what I need and run it just by the press of a button. The way I implemented it is by creating seperate sequences for the different light groups (LED Pars Back, LED Pars Floor, Moving Heads, Front light) in different flavors. Then I combine them in different ce lists that I put on cue list buttons. I use these buttons to shoot the lightning setup.
Recently I bought a Akai APC mini which does a great job to trigger these buttons from a seperate keypad. Since the APCmini also has faders, I wanted to use them to set some of the base values, that need t be changed based on the size of the stage.
Here is my question (that I couldn't figure out myself):
The front light in my case are four traditional par56 controlled by a small four channel dmx dimmer. I would like to use a fader on the APCmini to set the base value for the front light dimming (to get the correct brighness on stage) using one of the faders. But I would still like to controll the output values using the sequences. This means the resulting dmx dimmer value should be based on the fader value combined with the sequence value (not overridden by the sequence value!), An example: I put the slider to 50% and the sequence has also a value of 50%. Then the resulting DMX value should be at 25% i.e. roughly 58 or so.
I found no way doing this except by using subgroups which does not really help me in the way I did my automation (i.e. in relying on a one button press). Am I wrong? Does somebody know how to get this done?
Thanks for any help.

Partyman
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 4.01
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting
Twitter: twitter.com/

Re: Midi fader as base value for sequence

Post by Partyman »

I use my apc mini the same way and what I did was just to use the sliders as direct faders for the front lights by using the "midi to DMX " options. That way my sliders always control my front lights regardless of sequence and I control them manually. Blackout will still work.

Return to “FreeStyler Software”