These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Automating Light Shows for Bands - how do you do it?

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
Starcruiser
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8
I Use FreeStyler for: Church
Twitter: twitter.com/

Automating Light Shows for Bands - how do you do it?

Post by Starcruiser »

Hi,
I don't think I'm alone on this issue...
I am trying to configure automated light shows for our cover band that could be triggered by a simple Midi pedal. Our lightning rig isn't huge - we have 6 scanners, some Fusion Bar, 4-channel dimmer and 12 Led Pars - so it can flash in different colors ;-)

Since we cant afford (or are too cheap) to have a dedicated Light Engineer - we have to control the light ourselves...
I think we are nearly there - but have some issues. The way I've done it so far is

- I make different sequences for parts of the song e.g. one sequence for the Intro, one for the verse, and one for chorus.
- Then I make one cue of all these sequences and call it a "song" (e.g. "Highway to Hell ")
- We use a laptop on stage and simply use the "fast que switcher" to select the "song" (i.e. the cue)
- Then these sequences are triggered by a MID foot pedal board, Switch 1 = Intro,2 = Verse and so on...

This almost works but there are some issues:
1) Biggest issue is that when triggering a Sequence from the Cue Window´, it could either be played always from start or looped. Not both... Say that the verse is 10 bars long and we have made a sequence that is 4 bars long and then looped. First verse works ok, but 2:nd verse it will start at 3rd bar...

2) Timing granularity is a little bit low... Our drumer plays with a metronome so we could make it tight, but programming a song in 129 Bpm gets a little awkward.

I'm intrested if anyone else is trying to achieve something similar and your experience from that...

LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: Automating Light Shows for Bands - how do you do it?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
Starcruiser

Post by Starcruiser »

Thanks for the tip!
However - is there anywhere any tip on how to use it?
I may be stupid - but I don't understand how to use this together with FS.
Shannon D
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Post by Shannon D »

I use FS in both band and DJ applications. For my band, I use to have a Behringer FCB-1010 midi foot controller that I configured for our keyboard player to control. He wasn't too good at remembering what was programmed on each pedal and he really didn't give much effort into learning it. So I took that away from him and I now use a Roland SPD-S sampling pad to trigger FS myself at the drum kit.

I don't build my sequences trying to perfectly time the lights to any song. The way I do it, is build the sequence with all the scenes you want in the song. Make each scene's time span longer than it really needs to be. Example: if you want a certain scene to be 15 seconds, make it 30 seconds instead. I then use the "manual trigger" to go from one scene to the next. That way you don't have to worry about looping because your gonna switch the scene before its really over. I change my scenes on the downbeats, so where I would normally hit two cymbals, I hit one cymbal and the Roland SPD-S at the same time. Lights change exactly on time.
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

Starcruiser wrote:Thanks for the tip!
However - is there anywhere any tip on how to use it?
I may be stupid - but I don't understand how to use this together with FS.
you program sequences in FS as usual when you program for each song. then you use the Go monkey to trigger the sequences in the order you want.. in the professional world this is called a cue stack whch you program for each song.
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
Starcruiser

Post by Starcruiser »

@Shannon:
I use to have a Behringer FCB-1010 midi foot controller that I configured for our keyboard player to control.
Well that's very similar to what I am trying to achieve, although with the bass player... Myself being the guitarist I'm quite occupied with switching guitar sounds, but perhaps I will end up with 2 pedal boards. (Did I mention that I'm also the sound engineer? ;-)

@LJ_krede.dk:
Thanks for leading me into some kind of direction! I have been able to get some reaction in FS from Go Monkey now that I understand that the Sequence Files in the XML file refers to FS normal files. Go Monkey has been a little bit unstable on my machine, but perhaps its depending on heavy experimenting :-)

BR Starcruisr
Shannon D
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Post by Shannon D »

Starcruiser wrote:...Myself being the guitarist I'm quite occupied with switching guitar sounds, but perhaps I will end up with 2 pedal boards. (Did I mention that I'm also the sound engineer? ;-)
I know the feeling. I'm the drummer, light guy and sound dude as well. I bought a new Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 digital mixer and that puppy stays right next to my drum kit for fast access. I'm the only one in the band that knows what to do with it anyway. I have some NON-techy guys in my band. Hell, two of them don't even have internet. Drives me crazy that they are not up with the times. OK, enough rant.

I hope your bass player gets involved and wants to help with the lights. I was hoping for some feedback and possible lighting scene ideas from my band, but notta. They could care less how I program the show. Damn there I go again. Guess you can tell I'm a lil frustrated.

Peace!

SD

Return to “FreeStyler Software”